Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Extended the rudder on one of my Mariners

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cowmeat

cowmeat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 09 April 2018 - 06:21 AM

The rudder is now 19 inches long and close to an inch deeper than the original rudder. I haven't water tested it yet, but I assume it will cut the turning radius way down and it should track a lot better.

I simply pulled the rudder off, ground off the ribs on the side I attached the extension to, and drilled the holes and bolted on the extension.

I cut the nylon cutting board to size on my table saw and rounded the edges with my grinder.

Took about half an hour from start to finish, and I have the second extension ready to attach to my other Mariner

This mod was done with:

Half of a Walmart nylon cutting board (about 13 bucks and it will make two rudder extensions)

Pack of Walmart 3/4 inch machine bolts (less than two bucks) - I'll eventually replace these with stainless hardware but I didn't have time to get any this weekend

All in less than 15 bucks, and I already have the second one cut out, so it will end up being less than ten bucks per rudder after I get the stainless hardware

I will be water testing my recent mods on a week long fishing trip to Marathon Fl next week, I'll see how they hold up

I forgot to feather the front end so i don't catch weeds, I'll do that tonite

Attached Files

• Spider Crack likes this

#2 Spider Crack

Spider Crack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 April 2018 - 09:40 AM

Looks very interesting.  WIll be interested to hear your results after a water trial.  Would be a bit worried that big rudder's gonna put a lot of stress on your cables, but maybe not.  It's not much bigger than my upgrade Boonedox.

Thanks for posting the photos. 

/ joel 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users