Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Back Bay Bass Fishing Movie

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Grommet

Grommet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSaltier parts of Lynnhaven Roads, VA

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:30 PM

When I was at Get:Outdoors today, ended up talking to one of the sales guys (never got his name, but his parents live in King's Grant) who was from Virginia Beach (as we are), and our mutual friend Cory came up.

Cory's an old friend who was a roommate of mine back in the day, who is a fishing guide and I think a former Native-sponsored guide, who got me into a kayak with a fishing rod before there was an 'angler version' of just about anything, etc etc etc. Good guy to know and good guy in general.

Anyhoo, Cory and Flyman Fishing Company put together a short film on the decline and hopeful re-emergence of bass fishing in Back Bay, southern Virginia Beach. I thought it many be of interest to some here.

• NOG Admin likes this

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 01 April 2018 - 06:09 PM

That would have been Will, from Get Outdoors. Glad you were able to stop in and meet him as well as share some stories.
  • Grommet likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 02 April 2018 - 07:15 AM

Currituck and Lake Mattamuskeet used to be the same way. Currituck was full of water millfoil; a plant that is a fantastic filter. But the plants were so thick that it was difficult to navigate in areas, so a spraying program began and then that same big storm hit. The sound was back-flushed with salt water and that killed all of the aquatic vegetation, many of the fresh water fish, and prevented future generation spawns from surviving. Mattamuskeet is a total mess right now and no one party or group can agree on what is the best plan for bringing back that lake. Farmers complain that the ditch levels are too high so their Roundup-rich runoff is pumped into the lake; killing all of the natural submerged grass the fish relied on for nursery cover. Phragmites, an invasive reed, has taken over all over the lake; filling in what would normally be the spawning grounds for bass. The cycle is never ending. Man's progress in one area is its demise in another.

• Grommet likes this
Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#4 Grommet

Grommet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSaltier parts of Lynnhaven Roads, VA

Posted 03 April 2018 - 05:00 PM

If I read correctly I think I saw that Hobie picked up distribution and that the film will soon be seen on CBS Sports Network, maybe as part of a Hobie show?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users