Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Pedal stripped

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Catlaufish

Catlaufish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 07:17 AM

We have 2 Propel Slayers and have used 5 times. This weekend the left pedal in both kayaks came off! One is so stripped I Cannot put the pedal back on the gear and the nut tha holds it on is missing. Can this be fixed?

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 08:26 AM

The pedals and crank arms that run from the pedal to the Propel are basically bicycle parts. Any bike pedal with the same thread pattern will work. You do need to know that the left pedal is reverse threaded so you turn it the opposite direction that you would normally turn it to tighten it. I suggest that you take it back to your dealership and have them look at it to make sure whoever assembled the pedals did not strip them putting them on the wrong way.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 10:07 AM

If the pedal has fallen off and the spindle still remains attached to the crank arm, the spindle can be removed and a new pedal assemble can be attached. As mentioned, or to elaborate, you need to install/tighten by turing the pedal bolt in the direction you would rotate the pedals when going forward. The left side will attach/tighten counter clockwise, the right side clockwise.

If your boats are brand new its likely that the crank arms still have the L & R stickers on them, verifying they are in the correct orientation, as well as the pedals.

If you're not near a dealer, out of warranty a 9/16" pedal bolt is what you would need to replace.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#4 Catlaufish

Catlaufish

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 06:25 AM

The dealer is 300 miles away and the warranty has expired. So I just need a new bike pedal? Is it common for the pedal to come off? How could I have avoided it from happening!

#5 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 23 March 2018 - 05:50 PM

Bring the propel drive to any bike shop and have them install a set of pedals of your choosing that have a 9/16" bolt pattern. They will know that the left pedal is reverse threaded. Have them put some LockTite on the threads when they install them. A good shop will not charge you for the install since it only takes seconds...just what the pedals cost. Hopefully you didn't actually strip the threads in the crank arm. That is a shorter crank than a standard bike uses so if it is stripped...and they will be able to tell you, you can order a new crank for Get:Outdoors.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#6 J.A. Veil

J.A. Veil

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 06 April 2018 - 10:59 AM

Sorry about your pedal problems.  If you do decide to replace the pedals and crank arms, I have a set for sale in the Classified - Active section of this website.  The price is flexible.   http://nativeownersg...rms-and-pedals/

John Veil
Native Watercraft Pro Staff team
Slayer Propel 10 and Manta Ray 11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users