Toggle %s Hello Guest

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

- - - - -

Ideas for locking steering straight while paddling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Skitterwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 03:50 PM

Every once in a while I will have to tilt up the Propel drive for shallow water or paddling over slop. The SP 13 is definitely a paddleable yak. My only issue is the steering or rudder moves when I paddle veering me off track. I do need to note that I added a larger rudder for tighter turns. Anyone got a fix for this? I know that straight ain’t dead center on the tiller, and I’m ok with that. I’m trying to figure out how to snug the steering down even if It’s off 6 degrees or so. Might be better to adjust it given wind and currents. Thanks.

#2 Bradleto

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 05:43 PM

Interesting!  I think the answer lies in working in the tankwell with the exposed rudder hardware, not down in the water with the rudder itself.

I'm not looking at my Propel just now . . . but if something could be affixed to the rotating disc, perhaps super-glued or using a quality suction cup, you might be able to drop something mounted to a hinge, about the size of a pencil, into a groove receptacle that holds the rudder as close to straight as possible. The "pencil," when in its lockdown position would be pointing at your back.

All you'd need is a little rod to reach back and engage/disengage the "pencil."

#3 cbass4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:02 PM

one of the features that I really like about Jackson’s FD kayaks is the ability to lock your steering. They have a molded indentation for the rudder lever to lay onto. Just my 2 cents, sorry I don’t have a solution for you.

#4 J.A. Veil

J.A. Veil

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:41 PM

I have a simple device that helps straighten tracking but does not completely solve the problem.  I put a Native track slug in the gear track just in front of the rudder lever.  I hook a large snap swivel onto the screw of the track slug.  I run a short piece of bungee cord between the hole in the rudder lever to the snap swivel and push the track slug far enough forward to add some tension.  

This costs next to nothing to make and is worth a try.  I am away from home now and cannot provide a photo.  

John Veil
Native Watercraft Pro Staff team
Slayer Propel 10 and Manta Ray 11

#5 boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 07:47 AM

You can adjust your cables from the rear disk to make the rudder straight with the handle...then use John's trick. It is a good one and works. The other simple thing is to tension the rudder screw on the rear disk so the rudder doesn't turn without you moving the handle.

And an interesting note...the rudder system that Jackson uses on their FDs actually came from Native years ago. Native used that system to deploy and raise a center skeg on several of their boats including the original Ultimate. I asked them why they didn't go back to that steering rod since it works, uses less parts, uses no cables that break...and they said the system was plagued with problems...go figure. 

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Steering

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users