Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

manta ray 12 or slayer propel 10

ocean bay yak fishing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wjbc

wjbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

i am hesitating on which kayak to get.

manta ray 12 or slayer propel 10.

i am fishing long island sound here in NY, ocean bay.

i am a small guy 5'7, 160lb.

yak weight helps a lot with loading/unloading.

manta ray is longer and better for tracking, but the rear tank space is a little small (triangle).

sp10 is much lighter.

price-wise mr12 is better i could afford a few more accessories/add-ons.

i will def. get a outrigger kit for the large ocean surf/wake.

does pedal drive affect tracking? it's not paddling

so, i am like stuck.

Anyone has real yak exp with either of the 2 above?

pls comment on things i will or will not regret choosing the right yak ;-)

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

You will notice on just about all of the pedal drives regardless of brand that the boat will veer ever so slightly from side to side. Many of us feel that this is due to torque steer created by the rotating propeller. It isn't bad and you get used to it, but it does require that you make slight corrective rudder adjustments from time to time.

The Manta Ray was designed to be an entry level Propel boat so much of the room and features are not in it compared to the other models. The tankwell size reflects on the hull shape and what they could do with that size and shaped hull. I suggest you find a boat demo in your area and try them both out...bring your gear and see which model fits your needs best. Also many dealerships will have rentals and this is perhaps the best bet for trying the different hulls out the best as you get more than a quick test drive out of them. Also these dealerships will most likely apply the rental amount to the purchase price if you buy from them.

• wjbc likes this
Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 wjbc

wjbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

thanks for the prompt response! will def. do the real test-drive. any good dealers to refer in my area?

i looked on your dealer locator, they are all pretty far away from NYC. (i am in Queens county of nyc.)

#4 wjbc

wjbc

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 January 2018 - 03:51 PM

just saw a video where the milk crate fits in a manta ray vertically. cool!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users