Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

If my Native Ultimate FX 15 flips.....

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Dwight Harley

Dwight Harley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

......is there enough foam flotation in the bow and stern to make the boat recoverable? By recoverable, I mean that if I flip the boat back over will the gunwales sit high enough above the water so that I can pump the water out and climb back in.

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:47 AM

Yes...at least it is supposed to. The weight capacity of all boats is set to keep the gunnels level when the hull is filled with water. From what I have experienced with all open hulled kayaks and canoes is that when you flip it you rarely get very much water in the hull. You basically lose your balance and fall out into the water. But I have seen and heard of other cases where the older Ultimates will take on a wave in rough seas and then continue to take on more water until they totally fill up. If this is the case, the best thing one can do is swim the boat to shore and figure out another plan...it is just too rough for an open hulled boat. With that being said, I am a big guy and I've had my FX15 out in very rough water and never took on a drop. When I first got my FX I also had a power boat run around me off of plane so it would throw a huge wake to try and fill the boat with water and never got a drop in it.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 Dwight Harley

Dwight Harley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for your comments. I think I am going to try flipping it over in a controlled setting  this summer. I would like to know whether the gunwales will sit high enough above the water so I can pump the water out with my bilge pump if I ever get flipped over. There are some vids on YouTube of the Kayak Hacks guy trying to recover the older model Ultimate. He had to shove a bunch of pool noodles up under the gunwales to get the boat to float high enough to bale it out. Otherwise, without the pool noodles the gunwales were under water or right at the water level and it was unrecoverable in deep water. I have the bow hatch cover on my FX and haven't taken on water in rough seas. It's the unexpected flipping over and the boat filling up with water as I flip it back over. Not trying to overthink this but I like to be prepared for mishaps.

#4 Pelican

Pelican

• Members
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:57 PM

Thanks for your comments. I think I am going to try flipping it over in a controlled setting  this summer. I would like to know whether the gunwales will sit high enough above the water so I can pump the water out with my bilge pump if I ever get flipped over. There are some vids on YouTube of the Kayak Hacks guy trying to recover the older model Ultimate. He had to shove a bunch of pool noodles up under the gunwales to get the boat to float high enough to bale it out. Otherwise, without the pool noodles the gunwales were under water or right at the water level and it was unrecoverable in deep water. I have the bow hatch cover on my FX and haven't taken on water in rough seas. It's the unexpected flipping over and the boat filling up with water as I flip it back over. Not trying to overthink this but I like to be prepared for mishaps.

Depending on the pump you're using it could take a long time to pump that much water. Its always good to have a plan B 4
the emergency.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users