Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Native Propel cart idea

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nativenut

nativenut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 08:52 PM

There's a picture of a cart on the top of this page that looks really simple to fabricate and ideal for the propels.  I'm not sure if this is a diy cart... if anyone knows please chime in...

https://www.rapidmed...ler-should-know

It looks like it has balance bike wheels on it which are tubeless and weigh only 1lb each.  My fold up cart has 2lb tires and the cart does not fit the hull properly.  I know there's been some mods to these foldable carts, but I'ld rather sell it and start over.

https://www.striderb...ltralight-wheel

I'm thinking a foldable aluminum bar with two bunks/pads attached to support the hull will work.   Attach some axles on the ends of the bar and that would work for the wheels.  Then attach one strap on the bar to hold down the kayak from moving.

it can even be designed to screw into the back rails for on the water storage with some quick release pins for the wheels as well.

Attached Files

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 06 January 2018 - 06:59 AM

The pictured cart does look like a DIY. At least I've never seen a commercially made one with those wheels.

The only negative points that come to mind with those wheels is the bearings which are designed for immersion or saltwater use should you want to roll the kayak into the water, like on concrete boat ramps, or on softer sand due to the narrow wheel.

If your use/conditions don't include these scenarios it should work fine.

Certain,y let us know if you build one.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 nativenut

nativenut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 02:50 PM

Something like this may work out well.  An aluminum rod that can separate in the middle with 12" balance bike wheels...  hmm...  maybe an old paddle.

With the padding around the rod, it should give enough clearance for the rudder.  I was also thinking of removing the bearings and attaching the wheels straight to the plastic hub.  To prevent shifting, maybe some straps and clips attached to the rear railing.

https://www.amazon.c...6:ATVPDKIKX0DER

#4 nativenut

nativenut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

I scored some 13.5" pressure washer wheels today at the city dump.  Now that is the place to find all sorts of diy kayak cart wheels.  I was tempted to jump in the dumpster.   :D  

I did a quick mock up w/ some wood and 1/2" lag bolts.  Looks promising so far. 

The length of the wood is 36" which is just enough for the wheels to clear the width of the hull. 

Th final design will probably include some kind of aluminum tube that can separate in the middle.  

I placed the cart right under where the rear rail begins.  Having it here allows the cart to lift the hull by the two sides and just touch the middle fin of the hull. 

I'll probably use some 3" pool noodle to pad and lift the hull.

I will permanently attach two straps with hooks on the ends of the cart by the wheels.  I can use these to hook to the kayak with some rail mounted tie downs.

I think the hardest part of this project is going to figure out how to connect 1/2" axles to the aluminum rod and drilling them out to accept some quick release pins.

almost forgot to mention the most important part...  The taller wheels allow me to lift the front almost up to my neck and still have rudder clearance as shown in the picture

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   144.95KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   153.04KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   197.77KB   0 downloads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users