Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

roof rack hauling

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Exdredis

Exdredis

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:12 AM

i just purchased an ultimate 16 and wondering about the best method for carrying on roof racks. i see lots of kayaks carried hull side down (like it were sitting in water) but seems like more stable and less wind resistance to invert it. also wouldn't collect rain. any thoughts about carrying it this way?

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

I haul my U FX15 with the gunnels down. It is easy enough to remove the seats and I know the bars keep the hull from warping any that way.

• Exdredis likes this
Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 EDWtandemultimate

EDWtandemultimate

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:42 PM

My question relates to loading before you get it up on the racks. I have an Ultimate tandem; what is the best way to load it? We normally lift it on and off from the side but are wondering(and hoping)  if there is an easier way?!!!

#4 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 05 January 2018 - 10:18 AM

Having two people loading it from the side is how I would do it. If there is only one person, I normally position the boat on the ground so it is diagonal to the back of the vehicle (SUV) With the front of the boat off to one side about at the back wheel and the stern centered to the back. Pick up the front and position it onto the back rack...then pick up the stern and slide it on forward, pushing the bow on over the front rack. If you are loading it by yourself onto a car, position the boat along the side of the car. Put a towel or clean cloth over the roof at the front rack. Pick up the front end of the boat and set it up against the side of the roof angled up over the front rack. Pushing against the boat to keep it there, make your way to the back and pick it up over your head, and slide the front up over the rack and then put the stern over the back rack. The towel is to keep the vehicle from getting scratched. 

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#5 Tallgrass05

Tallgrass05

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

EDW, if you have some dough, check out the Yakima Showdown, Showboat, or Boatloader. There might also be some discontinued Yakima Hully Rollers available in stores. I've seen short women load their 16' kayaks by themselves easily with the HullyRollers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users