Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

PVC for Racks Like a Hobie?

PVC Storage Cart Rack Slayer Propel 13

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sgtryanusmc

sgtryanusmc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:10 PM

I'm probably going to replicate this cart like the one in the video.  I love the idea because it is effortless to get in and out of the truck; I'll make it the same height.  Also it will take up much less space than my Harbor Freight trailer.  Lots of plus's.  I am contemplating what to do with the top.  I really like the PVC rails idea but will it work?  Has anyone made a similar setup with the PVC?  What size and what spacing? 

Link to storage cart build:

https://www.youtube....h?v=sE5DCLiOSso

Thanks, y'all.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

The tunnels are roughly 6" apart on center. I haven't built one of these carts myself but would imagine the pipe diameter would be dependent on the pipe support design, mainly how high it elevated the pipe away from its supporting structure.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 J.A. Veil

J.A. Veil

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 11:03 AM

I do not have a cart like the one in the video.  Three considerations that come to mind are:  1)  Choose PVC pipes with appropriate diameter to raise the hull above the cart surface, 2) Space the PVC pipes at a distance that matches the hull shape, and angle them slightly if needed to match the hull shape, and 3) Pulling a polyethylene hull over stationary PVC pipes may create some friction.  Consider attaching some carpet strips to the PVC or spraying it with a low-friction material like Teflon or silicone.  

My fishing buddy built a two-layer cart that use lateral PVC supports rather than length-wise supports.  There is much less friction between hull and supports in this design.

Attached File  mark's cart.jpg   96.84KB   3 downloads

John Veil
Native Watercraft Pro Staff team
Slayer Propel 10 and Manta Ray 11

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PVC, Storage, Cart, Rack, Slayer Propel 13

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users