Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Risers for seat? Anyone heard of or tried?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 04:28 PM

I have a SP 10.  I thought about trying to raise the seat a couple inches for more clearance under the seat for storage.  Anyone tried this?  Is there anything on the market (kit, etc.) to do this?  My DIY thought was to buy 1/4" bolts that are 6" long, knobs for the tops of the bolts and some sort of spacers (PVC, etc.) to put between the bottom of the seat mounts and the track.  Then put the longer bolts through the seat and spacers and into the track nuts.  Total cost would be under $10.  I've already made block rails from 2 x 2's for the back legs which (a) raise the back of the seat and (B) protect those troughs from denting.  I've been using those already.  

I'm short and have my seat pretty close to the center console, leaving no real space to store stuff under my seat.  I also prefer a taller sitting position anyway so I thought raising the seat would give me a better seating position AND storage for plano boxes, etc. under my seat.  I know there is an under-seat organizer but I wanted to have even more storage under there (similar to the seat on the Titan).  My only concern would be getting out of the seat to slide it fwd/back so as not to put as much pressure on the longer bolts (which are standard home center bolts and not some high-strength type).

Thoughts?

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 09:54 AM

One of our pro-staff made seat risers using 4" aluminum channel. He got the channel from a ceiling project at work so I have no idea where you would get something similar. Anyway he basically did what you are talking about doing. It made pedaling the boat much easier but also raised the center of gravity a good bit. He said once he got used to it he never looked back.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 109 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 09 December 2017 - 11:41 AM

this might give you some ideas:

Saw one of these at the lake & was impressed, but don't know if it's ever been tried in a Native yak.  Feelfree Gravity Seat $300

The Gravity Seat needs a wide footprint, 23 inches of deck space from side to side and 16 inches from front to back

http://www.austinkay...NIaAj6fEALw_wcB

If you Google "Scissor Lift Table" you'll see lots of links for making lift tables. 

Be sure & post your finished project, I've been thinking about doing something similar & could use some ideas.

#4 Mike13695

Mike13695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:20 PM

I looked into hex standoffs , they were length and cost prohibitive so your best bet would be to modify some type of spacer with all thread , a long bolt and knob or some other application. If you were a bigger guy, (more weight) the concern would be stability in the set up. Whatever you do make sure it is a solid setup.

#5 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 13 December 2017 - 01:45 PM

Thanks everyone.  I'll post whatever I come up with.  I'm in the frozen north so I won't be able to test my ideas on the water until about April though.

#6 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

I bought some 1/4" hex bolts that are 5" long and some star-knobs.  The hex cutout in the bottom of the knobs was a little bigger than the hex heads (so they don't lock/grip) but I didn't know that until I bought/opened them (they looked like the same size).  So I super-glued and hot-glued the hex heads in the knobs.  I may also buy some thin nuts and put them under the knobs to help hold them tight.  Then I cut some PVC risers so there are 5 or 6 threads sticking out the bottom.  Then just put the new bolts with knobs through the seat holes, through the PVC tubes and tighten down into the track nuts.  I have a riser I made from wood for the back legs to prop them up as well.  Feels very sturdy and still easy to take on/off and adjust.  I thought about fixing the PVC tubes on somehow so I don't have to line up the bolts and tubes with the track nuts but I don't want them to be permanent at this point.  I'll probably wrap them in my camo or black duck tape for better looks but that's it until I try it out.  I will put my original knobs/bolts in my dry storage in case I need them.  As you can see, I've gained about 3-4" of clearance under my seat which should easily accommodate some tackle boxes or flat tackle bag or something.  Basically, make it more usable than it is now.  Again, I can't try it on the water until April/May since I'm in WI and all our lakes are now frozen.  (another reason I didn't want to make anything too permanent yet).  

Attached Files

#7 Stanley

Stanley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 February 2018 - 12:54 PM

Hello, Thank you for sharing your idea. I live in Europe and the threads of the bolts are different. Do you have a link on which I could buy the same bolts? Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

#8 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 02 March 2018 - 02:25 PM

Hi Stanley - I looked for a link but couldn't find anything.  Apparently they don't put items as small as nuts and bolts in their online store.  I tried the store I got them from plus two other stores that sell nuts/bolts in my area.  Sorry!

#9 Stanley

Stanley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 06:36 AM

Hello, Thank you for your answer, I will check on the internet :) Do you know the name of the thread? for sample : UNC UNF?

Have a good day

#10 BenG

BenG

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 09:39 AM

I will take a look.  I might still have the packaging or could look at the bolts to see.  Otherwise maybe post that as a new question to the group and see if the Native guys can answer that.

#11 donga

donga

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 March 2018 - 08:23 PM

I been thinking of the same thing recently. I would like a bit more room underneath. Be i teresting to see how it goes!

#12 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 06:35 PM

I removed the seat tracks on both sides of my FX and spaced them up 3" using 3/4" thick 'starboard' which is a plastic material used in boat construction.

I drilled the Native bolt holes and 3/4" starboard spacers out to 1/4" and used 4" stainless 1/4 x 20 bolts and hardware to hold spacers and factory tracks in place.

Has worked fine for over a year now.

[post='My%20FX%203inch%20lift%20blocks%202_zpsx']3"spacer[/post]

#13 Skitterwalker

Skitterwalker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 March 2018 - 07:11 PM

Wow guys! This has been an issue for me bc I have shorter legs (28” inseam). No, you can’t slide anything under if the seat is pulled up. Great ideas.

#14 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 11:19 AM

The spacer blocks should work fine to raise the track on any of the propel versions. Hardware sizes will be only differences.

#15 Stanley

Stanley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 12:48 PM

Hello,

Thank you for this idea too ! 

:D

Congratulations from Europe

#16 cowmeat

cowmeat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationCentral Florida

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:45 AM

I raised the seat on my Mariner for about 20 bucks using a piece of plywood, some aluminum bars, a couple of clamps and a beach chair I had sitting around (I don't like the angle of the original seat much)

The original seat sat about five inches off the bottom of the kayak and left no room under it to store gear, the new seat bottom sits 14 inches above it and gives me room for tackle/gear storage below the plywood and below the seat itself.

I have a couple of tackle boxes that slide underneath. The raised platform also makes it way easier to get in and out of the kayak and to stand to fish, and I like the angle of seat to pedals better too. It's easily removable and sits tight into place while I'm in the kayak

BTW I pressure washed both of my Mariners right after taking this shot, I should have done it before!

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users