Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Rudder Cable Replacement

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 YakDude

YakDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 10:17 PM

Are they’re any videos for doing a straight rudder cable replacement with a stock OEM cable? Most vids I see are for doing modifications and drilling bigger holes in the cable guides. I don’t want to do that, just a standard replacement. Thanks in advance guys!

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 06:08 AM

Unfortunately there is not currently a factory video guide, or a known oem install we're aware of.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 YakDude

YakDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for your response.  I noticed some fraying in the rudder control box, but nothing extreme at this point.  I just don't want to be 5 miles out and have a cable snap.  The idea of that happening terrifies me!

• NOG Admin and Bucktrout like this

#4 mi327

mi327

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 06:52 PM

Thanks for your response.  I noticed some fraying in the rudder control box, but nothing extreme at this point.  I just don't want to be 5 miles out and have a cable snap.  The idea of that happening terrifies me!

I would recommend replacing it now instead of later.  The stock rudder cable on the Propel doesn't have as long a lifespan as one would think. My second cable snapped on me with no visible fraying after it was about 16 months old (First time it snapped it was frayed). 

There are some Youtube videos out there on how to do it only real trick is threading the cable the right direction but even that isn't much of a problem., you can either order a OEM style cable or with some looking around you can find other stronger or cheaper alternatives. I would keep a spare on hand as well so you will have one at the ready, and not miss any fishing days..

If the cable does snap you can still make it back in fairly easily.  You will need to reach behind you and get rudder as straight as you can moving the disc around and if you have a screw driver tighten it down so it doesn't move.  Then you can pedal in and use your paddle or something similar to steer with. I used this once to get in easily at a normal pace. 

• Moxymo likes this

#5 YakDude

YakDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 08:24 PM

I would recommend replacing it now instead of later. The stock rudder cable on the Propel doesn't have as long a lifespan as one would think. My second cable snapped on me with no visible fraying after it was about 16 months old (First time it snapped it was frayed).

There are some Youtube videos out there on how to do it only real trick is threading the cable the right direction but even that isn't much of a problem., you can either order a OEM style cable or with some looking around you can find other stronger or cheaper alternatives. I would keep a spare on hand as well so you will have one at the ready, and not miss any fishing days..

If the cable does snap you can still make it back in fairly easily. You will need to reach behind you and get rudder as straight as you can moving the disc around and if you have a screw driver tighten it down so it doesn't move. Then you can pedal in and use your paddle or something similar to steer with. I used this once to get in easily at a normal pace.

Thanks! I have a 2015 Native Propel 13 with original rudder cable and every time I go out on the water I’m a bit nervous because I’m living on borrowed time! I’m going to replace before next trip!

#6 IWanaGoFishing

IWanaGoFishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:09 PM

As soon as you see the fraying, it's time to replace the cable.  The newer style OEM cables from Native are a quick and easy replacement and don't require any modifications, at least they didn't on my 2015 boat.  Took about 10-15 minutes while the boat was sitting on my tailgate.  

#7 Mike13695

Mike13695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 03:26 AM

what type of tools would be required for the cable swap?

#8 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 08 December 2017 - 09:27 AM

You need a Phillips head screw driver and a small Allen wrench. If you search the Propel forum you will find some how-tos. There are set screws on the back rudder plate that have to be loosened and the same sized set screw up under the rudder handle itself. That is the one that usually crimps off the cable and makes it fail. The Allen size is a 2mm.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#9 YakDude

YakDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 12:05 AM

Changed out my rudder cable today. Very straight forward process! I’ll prolly change it out once a year just for peace of mind.
  • NOG Admin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users