Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Need help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brianmclaren

brianmclaren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:07 PM

Hi folks -

I just retired my old Native Mariner 12.5 after several years of heavy use - 10+ hours per week. I bought another used Native Mariner - so I'm a true believer.

Two questions - 

1. On the new "used" kayak - the lower cartridge won't come out. It has been sitting idle in a guys garage for a couple years. I've got the recommended pin/spanner wrench and can't get it to budge. I'm worried if I bang on the wrench I'll break something. Any suggestions? Anybody else have this problem? It works great, but I want to maintain it well.

2. My old unit has a bad upper transmission gear. They're out of stock from Native. I wonder if any of you have an old unit and would part with the transmission gear for a reasonable price. If not - I would be willing to sell my old unit for parts if someone else is interested.

Thanks!

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:31 AM

Hello,

1) Some units can be harder than others to open, especially if it's never been opened. I would recommend spraying a silicone lubricant around the lower cartridge where it meets the housing. This hopefully will seep down to the o-ring. Next, I would construct a 2x4 jig that will stabilize the drive from moving, basically a slot or trough, that the lower drive housing can lie in while you use the wrench. Having a 2nd person can help but usually doesn't fully immobilize the drive.

2) It would be worth checking with Get Outdoors for replacement parts. Please contact Cory at 800 450 6819. If you indicate which model version, indicated by a number on the side of the main drive shaft, beginning with either a 201, 301 or 401.

Curious, where did your old Mariner go for retirement?

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 104 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:02 PM

Remove prop

Soak lower unit in bucket of hot water

Remove while still warm & dry off, spray threads with PB Blaster

Let it soak over night

Pause for a short moment of prayer

Try to remove it

Good luck!

#4 brianmclaren

brianmclaren

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:34 PM

Thx so much. The jig is a good idea. So is soaking. I still have the old one, and am hoping I can find a new or used upper replacement gear so I can put it back in service. I’ll let you know how I do with the stuck cartridge on the newer unit. Thx again.

#5 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:55 PM

​I have had to use a large vice on heavy duty work bench and a 3 foot long pipe wrench to break loose 2 different cartridges.

Stuck%20cartridge_zpsbdxmkhmh.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users