Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

Hello from new guy. Rookie questions

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

Hello to you all. Just bought a Slayer Propel 12 LT. My first peddler. My second kayak. 

Trying to figure out some things, any help appreciated. 

How the heck do I tilt, or lift the thing to drain? Tried right side up, upside down, sideways, all the way vertical, finally had to use

towel to finish. All water just from rain, boat not in water yet, but sat outside at dealers for ???long.

Is that also a drain plug on the drive housing?

The long bungie on the seat with hooks on both ends? can't figure out what that is supposed to do.

Maybe some of these questions will be answered when dealer finds whatever manual, paper work comes

with boat and sends it to me, but thought to try here. Got boat on end of season sale so was not to picky on details.

Thanks, Keith

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 08 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

The easiest and quickest way to get water out from inside the hull is to tilt it forward so all the water runs to the front and settles in the V...then  take a big car wash sponge and sponge it out. A bit of water can get in from the hatches, rod holders and screw holes. Those bungees are to secure the seat to the hull. There should be some small rings fastened to the hull behind the seat the hooks will latch to. This also helps the seat to slide back if needed. The plug on the drive housing is for accessing inside the drive for lubricating the gears. The boat doesn't come with any papers or books. You can find everything you need to maintain your boat on Native's web site. They have some excellent maintenance videos.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:14 PM

Thanks boykinsbuddy for the response. There are no rings or anything behind seat on my hull. That is why I couldn't figure out bungee. Figured it for hooking seat to hull but nothing to hook to . Will contact Native about it. The plug I asked about is on the rotomolded plastic that holds the drive. It is a threaded plug just like a drain plug to the right of the  drive. Yes I have been watching the videos and have acquired the grease, injector, spanner, etc.  On with the adventure.

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 06:37 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Yes, there should be a black padeye behind the seat which both hook ends of the seat bungee hook into.

The drain plug on the drive pod serves two purposes, one, a necessary part of injection molding a hollow body requires a port or hole. Two, should water ever enter the pod it will be much easier to empty thru the plug hole.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#5 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:31 PM

Thanks, Admin   No padeye behind seat. Sent email to my dealer. Waiting for news.

Also think I will have to order $50+ spanner from amazon. Cannot budge lower 

cap with cheap one. Want to make sure greased. Drive seems a bit stiff. Greased upper

no change. Maybe needs breaking in? Also there is a little play between forward and reverse, like there is 

small gap in meshing of upper gears, can rock pedals back and forth 1/16-1/8th inch. Is this normal?

Thanks again for helping a noob and for that welcome feeling.   Keith

• NOG Admin likes this

#6 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:32 PM

Addendum...yes cranks are tight.

#7 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 08:56 PM

Hello again, Just ran into another question. Saw in another post about registering that drive should be registered too. I registered boat yesterday, did not see drive box. Went to register page just now, see drive box but when I click slayer 12 lt on drop down menu drive box disappears. So, huh, whats up with that? Also of the colors in drop down box my "inferno" color is not listed. Clicked "red cone" figured it might be closest. Hope all this can be straightened out so I am good on warranty.  Thanks, and again. Keith 

#8 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:05 AM

It's a little hard to describe the normal feel of the gears meshing during rotation but when out of the water and you spin the crank arms, you should feel a little weight to the motion as the gears engage and rotate. The rotation should be fluid in that there shouldn't be a ramp-up of pressure needed to start and it shouldn't feel as the gears may seem to bind when sling down to a stop.

It is 100% normal to sense a gap or hesitation when switching from forward to reverse or being able to move the pedals back and forth within that short range without moving the prop.

When registering, you'll need to scroll down within the model selection window to Slayer Propel 12 LT (currently 2nd to the bottom). The Slayer 12 is a paddle only model, with no drive input. They are missing the color option. That's a bit lesser of an important detail so you could just select the color closest , Blue Lagoon or Road Cone for orange.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#9 Keith

Keith

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:07 PM

Admin, Thanks for trying to describe pedal feel. Good to know the slight play is normal. Got the good spanner so hopefully can get into bottom with grease. 

I did register as Slayer Propel 12 LT Red Cone.  Just went through all propels on registration page. Some show drive register box but not 

Mariner propel 10

Mariner propel 12

Slayer propel 12 LT

I will call my dealer.  Thanks for the help.  Keith

• NOG Admin likes this

#10 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

Thanks, Keith.