Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Question regarding deck padding on my FX 15 tandem

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 FLATS813

FLATS813

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

Does anyone know if I install some of the additional native deck padding on my FX 15, when it is in solo configuration and the floor is bare of it...will that cause problems being able to install and slide the 2nd seat tray over it so that I can convert the boat back into tandem easily?  Or will the padding be thin enough where the seat tray can still glide right over it without problems?

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 07:25 PM

Are you wanting to put the pads on the raised hump or the recessed wells? The wells wouldn't be a problem but pads on the hump might make it a bit more difficult, but not impossible, to slide in to position. You could test it with a similar piece of foam just taped down to confirm?

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 FLATS813

FLATS813

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:58 AM

Thank you.  that's a great recommendation...I am placing them in the recessed wells, where my feet would be when I stand.  In the solo configuration, it is bare there and I was hoping to have a little more traction without compromising the boat's easy versatility.  I will give your suggestion a try though, as that will tell me what I need to know before I place the order.  Thanks again!

• NOG Admin likes this

#4 FLATS813

FLATS813

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 September 2017 - 12:11 PM

Well....with this in mind, I went to take a closer inspection on the recessed wells in the boat and noticed 2 small dish sized indentations which I hadn't noticed before...I flipped my boat over to try and understand what these were and noticed that the bottom of the kayak has 2 little flattened out spots on the underside.  I guess from sitting on my trailer in my garage....I don't have it strapped down tight on to the trailer causing compression, so it is just the weight of the boat resting on the trailer (of course with the heat of a florida garage factoring in) ....  But it appears to have caused some warping on the underside of the boat.  I've researched online how to get these out and it seems like some people have found success with hot water where it softens up the plastic enough where it can regain it's shape.  I was thinking of actually using one of those heavy duty suction cup tools used to pull out dents in cars, but not sure if that would work on the plastic or not.  Does anyone think that would work, or should we stick with the hot water, or something else altogether?

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:55 AM

The small denting should pop out and return to normal just by laying it out in the sun or possibly the heat of you garage. The plastic has somewhat of a memory to it and will reposed to natural heat. I wouldn't recommend any mechanical type devices such as a dent puller. I would suggest storing it on you trailer with the gunnels down. They are the most structurally rigid part of the hull.
  • FLATS813 likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#6 FLATS813

FLATS813

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 08:50 AM

Thank you very much for the advice.  It is VERY helpful

#7 kayl

kayl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 06 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

I have the FX 15 tandem and installed the solo padding. There's no interference with the seat that I've noticed.

• NOG Admin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users