Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

New Ultimate 14.5 tandem question

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JoeF

JoeF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:11 PM

I just took delivery of this 14.5 today, there was no user manual, there was only two 24" thwarts and i have no idea how the seats install either in the tandem or the solo position, .Also the one 24" thwart will not fit in the far forward position.how do i contact Native for help ?

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:21 AM

Welcome to the forum.

This video should help. The unused thwarts are typically shipped where they are stored when not in use, which is under the gunnel, either bow or stern and held in place by a bungee.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 JoeF

JoeF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

Hi,

I watched that video before I posted here,in the video he has 3 thwarts and 2 foam blocks, I have 2 24 inch thwarts and no foam blocks,the seat has no way to lock in without the foam blocks when it's converted to solo, the boat in the video is an older model with different foot rests and storage for the thwarts,mine has no storage under the gunnels or bungees to hold anything.

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:30 AM

Gotcha. I should have included that the foam blow is are no longer provided or available. There should be strap clips to buckle in the seat in the solo position. Your boat should have been shipped with a longer bar for the solo spot so I would contact your dealer, who would be your go between with Native.

#5 JoeF

JoeF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:51 PM

I guess if the problem isn't resolved by the weekend I could just return it,the dealer has sent me the same information that's available online that's about 8 years old and does not relate to the boat that I have.

#6 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:26 PM

Hey Joe,

Apologies for the previous mis-info on the thwarts. The original ultimate in the video did uses three thwarts to change between solo and tandem. Your model has gunnels that are the same width, unlike the original, thru the thwart positioning so only two are necessary and therefore only two 24"'s are supplied. As far as the bow thwart not fitting. Please confirm the width of the thwart being 24". You may need to stand inside the hull and apply outward pressure to the gunnels with the outside of your legs to flex the hull in order for it to fit. This isn't too uncommon with new boats but should be easier to do after an install. The seats, and more specifically the seat pans, which are the black plastic bases, install by sliding the black seat pan side edges thru the small gap of the brackets installed on the inside of the hull at each side. There are no hull brackets for the seat in the solo position, only buckle straps to keep the seat from sliding backwards.

Hope this clarifies

#7 JoeF

JoeF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:12 PM

Hi

I have the tandem seating the way it should be, that part is good, I have the 24" thwarts installed where they should be like you said outward pressure did the trick. With the seat in the solo position per the manual sent to me through the dealer, the seat is really sloppy with lots of movement which I hate, my question now is would the foam blocks that I see at Austin Kayak help in this situation ? Would they fit the 2017 model ?

#8 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 06:02 PM

Glad to hear you're getting some of the issues resolved.

With regard to the solo seat position. Having had an older model tandem ultimate & converting it to solo while using the blocks worked pretty well for me. Some reported the closed cell foam blocks would compress over time and still allow movement but that was t my experience. I can't say with 100% certaintity that the blocks would be effective with the newer hull that you have because I haven't tried it. The hull height is the same between the two so you could try the and return if not.

#9 Kayakphotos

Kayakphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNaples, FL

Posted 15 September 2017 - 10:50 AM

I have an older (2010) ultimate tandem. I find the foam block adequate for solo use and much better than not having them in.
  • JoeF likes this
Just a thought from Daniel. '12 Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem- Camo

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/40driggs/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users