Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Boots and pants for fall

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jbaur13

Jbaur13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:29 PM

Hello all. I have a SP10.

I was curious, what do you guys wear in terms of footwear and pants when it starts to get cooler out?

My nylon pants and water shoes are definitely not going to cut it... I'll freeze to death.

I was thinking something as simple as knee high boots would be good enough to keep my feet dry, as I'm not wading in anything much deeper than my ankles, but that doesn't solve the pants issue.

Please let me know any recommendations. I'd like to keep costs down to a minimum if it's possible, but I also don't want to be uncomfortable with it either.

#2 Jbaur13

Jbaur13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 07:47 PM

Oh by the way. I fish mostly smaller sized lakes and I don't plan on going out if the high for the day is any cooler than the high 40's.

#3 rebelbuc

rebelbuc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSouthern Louisiana

Posted 05 September 2017 - 10:36 PM

I can't speak for colder climates, since I live in SE Louisiana - can't imagine kayaking in sub-freezing temperatures.  The coldest kayak fishing I've done is probably when temperatures ranged between the upper 30s and lower 40s for the day.  I went with multiple layers of nylon or polyester pants, similar shirts, and rubber knee boots.  I slip on rain pants/shirt if rain or wave action is likely to get me wet.  I recently picked up a pair of very thick nylon pants (I think coated to be water resistant) that might allow me to get away with 2 layers.  As I recall the coldest water temperature I noted on my Lowrance was maybe upper 40s or 50 degrees, so hopefully that would give me some time to get back in the kayak if I should join the aquatic club!

#4 J.A. Veil

J.A. Veil

• Members
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:35 AM

I live in Annapolis, MD and fish year round from my kayaks.  A few times each winter I break skim ice with my kayak to get to where I want to fish.  From roughly April-mid Nov, I wear quick-dry fishing pants and old sneakers.  As the water temp drops (Nov - mid Dec), I transition to Goretex rain pants and high rubber boots that come half way up my calf.  By mid Dec or earlier, depending on water temp, I go to my cold weather gear -- chest waders and a dry top.  Many other winter kayakers here use dry suits.  As the water warms again in March, I go back to the Goretex pants and boots.  Of course, I always wear a PFD.  

My winter kayak fishing is not done in large open water bodies.  I fish in tidal creeks and rivers and rarely am more than 1/4 mile from shore.  

John Veil
Native Watercraft Pro Staff team
Slayer Propel 10 and Manta Ray 11

#5 Jbaur13

Jbaur13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:20 PM

Thanks for the replies.

I've been looking at some options and I'm thinking i might go with this...

Smart wool socks and base layer pants.

I have some lightweight nylon water resistant quick dry pants and insulated waterproof snow pants that I'll wear depending on how cold it is.

As for boots I was thinking about this...
https://www.nrs.com/...s-boundary-shoe

Please let me know if you all think this might work.

Thanks again for all the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users