Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Diff. Lube

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 ColmerL

ColmerL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 10:45 PM

Looking forward to your report Moxy.

#22 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMooresville NC

Posted 12 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

I went ahead and I'm going to try this. I cleaned what I could of the grease out of the propel and added the oil. Does sound quitter . Makes sense too. Like some of you have said, couple spins and the grease is no longer effective. Looking forward to on the water test.
  • EdR likes this

#23 Mike13695

Mike13695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:46 PM

This is the stuff I've been using. The file was too big for a picture, it's Lubriplate No. 105 outboard motor lube for gear cases of non shift motors .I agree, gear oil would work . Most gearboxes in industry are vented,I think to prevent pressure build up. Keep an eye on the seals for leakage, try not to overfill.
See Mikem's post #9 and #11.

#24 Moxymo

Moxymo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationOzark , Missouri

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:09 PM

After the discussion of using gear oil instead of grease for the propel unit , I didn’t hesitate to switch . I went to Wal-Mart and purchased a quart of synthetic blend 75w-90 differential oil and used 8 oz ( total ) for the upper and lower gear boxes . I’ve never had water in my gear box and saw no reason it would be a problem now . After putting it in , I went to the lake for a test . The temperature was 50 and the water temperature was 54 . I used a fish finder with gps for testing . At 2.5 to 3.3 mph it was effortless ( litterly just going through the motions ) like on an Exercycle . At 3.5 mph there was enough effort to say it was sustainable for a couple of hours nonstop without being too tired . At 4 mph I would say 15 minutes would be the most I could do . My top speed was 4.6 mph which is a sprint in the propel 13 and wouldn’t be doable for more than a couple of minutes . Before using the gear oil it felt like a sprint uphill pulling a sled to go 4 mph and 30 minutes at 3.5 mph left me tired .

My kayak had my fishing gear which weighs about 25 lbs and me at 185 . Using a gps before the gear oil it was difficult to tweak a speed of 4 mph . Now 4.6 mph is attainable without all out effort . The groaning sound is barely there on maximum efforts so that also is an improvement . My impression is that oil is what the propel unit needs and not the grease that comes off and makes the effort get greater and sound get louder as mileage increases .

• mike333h likes this

#25 Hannzo24

Hannzo24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 01:15 PM

So what is the process to fill up the drive with oil?

#26 Bighitdhracer

Bighitdhracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Got back from my first trip using 75 90w gear oil in the lower cartridge, upper + lower gear boxes and so far i'm impressed with the results. The drive is much smoother and more importantly much quieter. I had just replaced the cartridge seal and all three cartridge bearings so that may have also added to some of the smoothness. Water temperature was 47 degrees and I didn't notice any more resistance with the gear oil over the finishline grease. I will continue to update as one trip isn't enough time to come to an conclusions for it long term performance. 

#27 YakDude

YakDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 04:55 PM

I made the plunge and put gear oil into the peddle unit of my 2015 Native Propel 13. I haven’t tested it out on the water yet, but will update after my “maiden” voyage
  • YakDude likes this

#28 YakDude

YakDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:44 PM

Went out today for first time after adding gear lube to Propel unit! What can I say, smooth as butter! I’ll keep an eye on things and add more observations later. Since this is uncharted territory, I plan to keep an eye on the unit for leakage and will refresh the gear lube annually. I feel good knowing that the Propel gears are constantly being lubricated.

#29 sgtryanusmc

sgtryanusmc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 09:11 PM

I did mine probably 20+ hours ago and it is nothing but better.  I used gear oil on the lower and Lucas Marine Grease on the top.  It's time to inspect the top but it feels great, smooth, quiet and no leaks. I would go, and still might, with adding gear oil to the top but there has to be grease too.  There is certainly a passage between the upper and lower.  I had my drive flipped around once while I was working on it and the gear oil traveled into the upper - it was upside down. 

I've had my share of drive problems.  This is my third drive.  First came with no grease, second had saltwater intrusion, both in the first usage period - before I needed to open it the first time to lube and inspect.  This one is much mo betta especially with this lube method.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users