Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Slayer Propel Modified Cart (using Sea to Summit axle)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rebelbuc

rebelbuc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSouthern Louisiana

Posted 29 August 2017 - 12:21 AM

I had purchased a Sea to Summit scupper cart a few years ago, but decided that lifting and turning over a loaded kayak just was not feasible.  I modified the cart by cutting off the scupper tubes inserts and replaced them with pvc designed to hold several kayaks that I owned.  The attached pics show my latest mod where I used aluminum angle to widen the tire spacing to about 36" and I added a 1 1/4" pvc base on top to support the kayak.  This allows one to easily place the kayak cart near the balance point, strap it down securely, and easily cart a heavily loaded kayak from pickup truck to launch point.  I like that the wide wheel spacing allows the kayak to sit lower while carting but with enough clearance for the rudder to clear the ground.  I was considering installing the Boonedox Landing Gear, but in addition to the cost of the gear I was not willing to add a constant 14 pounds to my already heavily loaded Slayer Propel 13.  My most challenging issue so far is lifting the front of the Propel to insert the cart without grinding the rudder into the ground.  I presently use the pvc stand that is pictured below to keep the rudder in the clear while positioning a cart.  I'm considering the BerkleyPro steering upgrade that should allow me to swing the rudder horizontally and out of the way while inserting the cart. 

Attached File  IMG_20170823_161255527.jpg   289.14KB   8 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20170823_161307678.jpg   288.83KB   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_20170823_162159145.jpg   300.96KB   3 downloads

Attached File  Slayer Stand.jpg   114.1KB   3 downloads

• NOG Admin and Mike13695 like this

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:01 AM

Nice cart modification. Have you thought of positioning the cart more toward the front cockpit scuppers? If you did then you could use the stern handle to lift/push the loaded kayak around and not have to work about the rudder.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 rebelbuc

rebelbuc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSouthern Louisiana

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:00 AM

I do like to position it near the balance point - that would likely be near the seat (assuming my ice chest is in the tankwell.  There always is the challenge of lifting the kayak to insert the cart.  If you lift the front, the rudder may possibly scrape the ground unless I use my simple pvc stand to elevate the rudder.  Once the kayak is balanced on the cart with the front a little heavy, the rudder will remain in the air if you set the bow down. 

#4 Mike13695

Mike13695

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Nice mod!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users