Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Seat strap/clip snapped

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Banjo46

Banjo46

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

I've looked around and I can't seem to find a replacement.  Any ideas?  The plastic clip that holds the strap snapped and I'm only supported by the right side now.  I am shocked these clips are plastic.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:30 AM

Get Outdoors can help 800 450 6819 

Since the strap adjuster is sewn in you'll have to cut the factory strap and sew in a new one.

They are more prone to break if installed with the attachment bolt too tight. If they can't pivot, keeping the weight displaced across the adjuster it tends to bunch up on a corner.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 Banjo46

Banjo46

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:20 PM

I haven't touched it since I got the kayak.  I am shocked they don't sell a replacement with the strap stitched.  I don't have the equipment to make a stitch like that,  I guess I will have to take my $2400 kayak to the tailors.

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:35 PM

The adjuster is sewn into the strap and the strap sewn to the seat back material as you likely can see. You just have to cut the stitching at the adjuster, fairly easily done with an exacto or razor blade. Ploy thread, a needle and thimble is all that's needed to stitch back.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#5 ronp

ronp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 07:43 AM

same thing happened to me. they don't make them out of plastic anymore. you can order new ones and they are inexpensive. I picked up an extra for when my buddies break on the water.

#6 Banjo46

Banjo46

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 12:07 PM

So I went back to where I ordered the SP10 and told them my problem.  They said they'd ask Native.  Next thing I know this arrives in the mail, free of charge.

They sent two, both metal, and both stitched.  It looks like they even did a double stitch.  Native again went above and beyond.

Attached Files

#7 mtskibum16

mtskibum16

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

I replaced mine with paracord after it broke. Cord through the seat strap loop, fold the cord over to make a loop and poke the tag ends through the mounting hole where the plastic clip mounts. Tie a double surgeons knot that will seat on the inside of the bar and keep the new paracord loop from pulling through. No more breakage concerns.

#8 ColmerL

ColmerL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 October 2017 - 12:54 AM

Sounds poor design on the seat strap.

#9 IWanaGoFishing

IWanaGoFishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:22 AM

My seat strap broke the other day as well.  So the running tally of things defective or poorly designed on my $2,500 kayak include my drive, my rudder cable, and my seat.  Oh, and the fact that I have standing water coming through my scuppers with only about 250 pounds of me and gear in a boat rated for 500 pounds.  Yes, I can put in my scupper plugs, but I shouldn't have to and it undermines the entire point of having scuppers.

#10 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,472 posts

Posted 06 December 2017 - 01:28 PM

The plastic seat buckles were upgraded a year or so back to metal buckles. All new boats should have the new buckles on them. The good thing is that the plastic buckle is covered under the lifetime warranty to the original owner and Native has been very good about covering this buckle.

Note that the Propel drive system has been in production close to a decade and during that time period it has undergone around 4-5 design changes...that is almost a change every 2 years. that isn't bad and actually much better than the design changes we see in the billion dollar auto industry. They also have made several design changes in the rudder system but as we have said many times, the rudder is a moving part and those cables are going to stretch and require maintenance and changing depending on use and abuse. Native's designs have to cover an array of paddlers' sizes...one size can fit all but the boat will certainly perform differently with 250 pounds of gear in it or 150 pounds of gear. They don't set the weight capacities on their kayaks (or any boat mfg for that matter); that capacity is set by the USCG. If you want a boat that will handle very large capacities, I suggest looking into the Titan 13.5 or the Titan 12.5 when it comes out in Spring 2018.

• IWanaGoFishing likes this
Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#11 IWanaGoFishing

IWanaGoFishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:32 PM

The plastic seat buckles were upgraded a year or so back to metal buckles. All new boats should have the new buckles on them. The good thing is that the plastic buckle is covered under the lifetime warranty to the original owner and Native has been very good about covering this buckle.

Note that the Propel drive system has been in production close to a decade and during that time period it has undergone around 4-5 design changes...that is almost a change every 2 years. that isn't bad and actually much better than the design changes we see in the billion dollar auto industry. They also have made several design changes in the rudder system but as we have said many times, the rudder is a moving part and those cables are going to stretch and require maintenance and changing depending on use and abuse. Native's designs have to cover an array of paddlers' sizes...one size can fit all but the boat will certainly perform differently with 250 pounds of gear in it or 150 pounds of gear. They don't set the weight capacities on their kayaks (or any boat mfg for that matter); that capacity is set by the USCG. If you want a boat that will handle very large capacities, I suggest looking into the Titan 13.5 or the Titan 12.5 when it comes out in Spring 2018.

I wasn't aware they were doing a lifetime warranty on that part.  Thanks for the heads up.  I'll give Native a call tomorrow and ask them to send out some seat straps.  

The revised cables are a big improvement.  The ones on my 2015 Slayer 13' lasted only about 6 trips, and I had the joy of peddling about 2 miles back to the beach while steering with my paddle.  Native sent me replacement cables which are thicker and feature a tighter weave like a 7x7 instead of just twisted strands.  I probably have 200 miles offshore on them without any fraying.  

As for the weight, it's a matter of hull design.  I believe the deck is too low and the rating is overstated, even if set by the Coastguard.  It's probably calculated based on the width and length with an assumption regarding water displacement which doesn't take into account lost displacement due to scupper holes and a low deck.  

I can put myself, fishing gear, and 4 days of camping gear and food in my Wildy Ride 115x (500lb stated capacity) and not have standing water in that boat.  The scuppers function as designed and keep the deck clear of water.  The boat drains incredibly fast after punching a class 2-3 wave or dropping off a ledge in a river.

If I take me, my tackle bag, bait, and rods in my Slayer 13', I have a wet deck sitting still in flat water.  With the rated 500 pounds in the boat, I'd probably have an inch or more of water in the boat and a dramatic loss of stability.  

As for my next boat, it won't be a Native.  I'll probably keep my Slayer 10' due to it's very low weight, but my 13' is going to be replaced by another brand.  Personally, I'd love to see Jackson come out with a 13' peddle boat.  I like the way the Jackson drive doesn't clutter the deck when raised unlike Native and Old Town.  Surf launching and landing with the drive in the way just isn't that much fun.  The Jackson drive also keeps a low center of gravity even when raised.  

#12 IWanaGoFishing

IWanaGoFishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:24 PM

I have straps for my 2015 SP10 and SP13 coming from Native under warranty.  Thanks again for the heads up on the longer warranty coverage.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users