I'll try to keep this brief - I have experience with sit in kayaks and larger family style canoes. My big canoe is a bear to transport and paddle on my own, so I am shopping solo canoes and came across a used Native 14.5 Tandem for sale locally for $800, which seems like a decent price. I have a few questions from owners that I hope will help my decision making process.
My main use will be recreational paddling, but I also need this boat to be a deer hunting vessel in the fall.
- How long does it take to remove or install the seat? I will be transporting it upside down on a roof rack like a traditional canoe, and quick load/unload is important to me. I'll also paddle to my stand from the middle seat, and paddle home from the rear seat if the front of the boat is full of dead deer. Can the seat be folded forward for transport upside down, or does it need to be removed completely?
- Speaking of deer- are others hauling gutted deer in these things with enough room to paddle? I pack pretty light, I think my personal stuff will fit behind me.
- How is the speed? Anybody have a solo canoe to compare it to? Or a sit on top kayak of similar length?
- How is crossing open lakes in the wind? I don't mind if it takes a bit longer to get there, I just need to be able to hold my line.
- My wife may want to tandem with me from time to time. Is there paddle chatter when tandem or are the seats far enough apart?
Thanks for your time.