Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

ICAST 2017 News

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cbass4

cbass4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:59 PM

I've been checking around lately anticipating new offerings and/or changes to current Native offerings.  Does anybody know if we have any exciting new products to drool over coming up this week at ICAST?  Is Native introducing new features to any of their fleet.  How about new accessories?

Cbass4

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:10 AM

They are showing off the Titan and the Slayer Propel LT. That's about all I know of. I know they have one of every Propel they offer there at the show.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:40 PM

I have been searching and I don't see any thing new, other then the Titan in the video looks as though they cut the end of the prop off and made it square.

#4 cbass4

cbass4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:25 AM

Bummer that Native didn't feature anything new this year, but there are a ton of cool new products revealed this week.  I like the new Ram Mounts products and the new Bonafide SS 127.

#5 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:58 AM

Well the Titan is new to us and the show for 2017 but they didn't do a new boat reveal or any of the old boats with new updates. The Bonafide is very well thought out...hopefully Native will take note of all the new features on the boat and how Bonafide and other manufacturers are now doing secured hinged hatches paddle holders etc. Their SS127, Jackson's Mayfly, and Wildy's ATAK 120 to me are topmost for current features a fisherman wants for the price point kayaks are at now...and Bonafide for $1550 is an absolute killer if it paddles well. Can't wait to demo one of them.

The Titan's 'new' cut off prop is a simple fix that works...but it isn't a product or feature designed for the boat. You can't expect that the same prop will behave the same on a half dozen different shaped and volume boat hulls. I know there is one guy in Australia that is working on a legitimate prop that should shed weeds much better than the current prop and hopefully it will also catch more water and maintain the ease of pedaling so we don't tire out. Hopefully his efforts will pay off and it will start an aftermarket trend for making performance props much like a couple of companies are doing with the Propel rudder. 

#6 cbass4

cbass4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

I especially like the latched front hatch by Bonafide that can be accessed from the bow and while sitting on deck.  I also love the horizontal rod storage inside and outside.  I know the Titan has external rod storage, but I'd love for Native to something similar to Bonafide's internal rod storage too. 

Aftermarket performance props would be awesome to see.  I can imagine the growing need/market for those considering all of the new propel models out there now. 

#7 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:04 AM

Agree 100%. I had an ATAK 140 for a year and loved the internal rod storage...I could load the boat for bear when I went squirrel hunting...I could put my fly gear inside and if the bass weren't cooperating I could stow that gear and pull out the fly stuff easily. Native has a habit of making "good enough". What works now is good enough for later boats. Bonified just showed the kayak world that you can make a well thought out top end boat from scratch not using old parts you ordered way too many of off of other boats to get the job done...and they enter the market at a lower price than everyone else.

Native needs  design a new prop from scratch to eliminate the cavitation issue instead of cutting an inch off of old propellers they have in stock. Better yet, they need to totally redesign the Propel to make the entire lower unit more 'water-dynamic' to shed weeds...a curved leading edge that does not have a protruding lower unit sticking forward of everything. They do that and they would more than likely have people with old units buying the new improved units to put on their older boats just to get the better performance in the weeds. They won't be able to put a longer Propel unit on the boat because it would not swing down through the opening without hitting the housing...it is a tight fit. They need to design a real legitimate propeller made for water use...hire a hydro-engineer to come up with a propeller that has a shroud that has little gap to allow weeds to tangle around the propeller shaft, a neutral dihedral that doesn't suck in air, and a wider rake to hold water better instead of cutting an inch off of each end of a prop they already have and call it good. We have suggested to them to get up with some of the top technical schools and do a challenge to the grad students....design a prop that performs the best for A,B,C, and D....winning design gets a boat of your choice and Native gets the rights to the prop. That would be fun and would cost way less than hiring an engineering firm to do the same thing, and perform a whole lot better than sticking on a model airplane propeller.

#8 cbass4

cbass4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

I'm with you Boykinsbuddy.  Another major difference between Native's propel models and other manufacturers, is the decks on Native boats aren't flat where the drive unit comes in and out of the water.  I like Jackson's Coosa FD that has a dry hatch that you can open and close to get at the drive.  Also, that drive can flex if you hit objects as you're pedaling.  Sounds like Native has some engineering and product development to do in order to stay relevant. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users