Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Native Ultimate 12 - Rudder kit

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 smithmal

smithmal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 12:35 PM

Looking at purchasing an Ultimate 12 or an Ultimate FX 12.  Has anyone put a rudder on either of these boats and if so, how well did the rudder system workout?

Was it worth the hassle?  I've demo'd the Ultimate 12 and it seems like it is pretty responsive to straight paddling, but I can get a good deal on a new rudder when I purchase the boat with free install, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

smithmal

#2 DarrenM

DarrenM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

Welcome aboard!

I do not have a rudder (actually have a trolling motor rig)

but there were times before doing the TM that I would 

have liked a rudder (mostly windy days to keep a straight

line when paddling back to the docks).

I fish, so paddle, fish, paddle, fish, rinse and repeat. Might

not be an issue for others.

EDIT: I have a 2008 U12

Edited by DarrenM, 02 July 2017 - 05:11 PM.

Darren

2011 Ultimate 12

#3 b737

b737

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

Have a rudder on  my 12 FX.  The stern is further out of the water than most kayaks, so it takes a "long" rudder to be really effective.  The Native rudder works "O K "  but not great.  Also, I installed "toe pedals" instead of the slides.  Having said all that, a rudder is a great addition to the Ultimate.  Everyone says they track great,

but it is so much better with a rudder. When fishing , I always use the rudder.  It really helps in moving water, or controlling your drift across a bay/lake.

Most of the time fishing banks or docks, I don't generally have to use the big paddle much, just use a "hand" paddle and the rudder for control.

Yes, a rudder is a good investment.

#4 damuniz

damuniz

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 02:00 PM

I have a Native rudder on my FX12 also. As b737 says it not as deep in the water as it could be (too short) but is still workes ok for me.

I probably have about 4 inches of the blade in the water. 

A worth while investment IMO.

#5 skeller001

skeller001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 July 2017 - 08:49 PM

I recently installed the rudder kit on my ultimate because without it the tracking is poor in my opinion. So far I like it with the exception of raising it and lowering it by using the string. Maybe I installed it incorrectly because it is hard if not impossible to use. If anyone could post a photo of the install of this part I would appreciate it

One other thing... the directions are horrible. I am a mechanical type person and it wasn't easy for me. There are no pictures with part names so when they call for a part you need to try to figure out what they are talking about.

#6 smithmal

smithmal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 01:42 PM

Thanks for everyone's reply.

I'm just getting the U12.  Would the stock Native rudder work well or is there a OEM rudder is a bit longer that you guys would suggest?

smithmal

#7 skeller001

skeller001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:51 PM

Smithmal,

i am not familiar with the aftermarket ones but i now have my factory add on working well.  I like the way everything fits right.  It is more $ but it works and fits nicely.  the directions are bad so i suggest looking on this fourm for install photos which is what I did.

#8 smithmal

smithmal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

Can someone let me know how long the Native rudder is?

Thanks,

smithmal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users