Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Boonedox rudder and the Berley Pro steering cable upgrade.....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CapeFearHooker

CapeFearHooker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 11:39 AM

Sorry if this has been covered before, but would there be any advantages to adding the Boonedox rudder to a SP13 and the Berley Pro steering cable upgrade? I've seen the videos where the BP steering tightens the turning radius greatly, would the extra length of the Boonedox rudder help the turning?

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 05:44 AM

I don't recall a anyone trying the combination of the two but you may want to try one of the two first, seeing if the add on suits you before adding the other?

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 CapeFearHooker

CapeFearHooker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 June 2017 - 09:39 AM

Stopped by Hook Line and paddle yesterday and picked up the Boonedox. Installed and hoped that the rudder at full turn angle would clear the stern. I haul my 13 in the bed 04 Tacoma Xtra cab and need every inch possible. Pretty sure the Berley will allow the stern to be snugged against the back of the bed. I plan on running this set up over the weekend down at Fort Fisher and then switching back to stock rudder with steering upgrade, then both upgrades combined. I have a really tough time with the current and wind down there in my go to areas with maneuvering, sometimes, a hard to port turn becomes a lazy starboard drift.....

• NOG Admin likes this

#4 wferguson

wferguson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

I have the Boonedox rudder......my stock cable finally stretched to the point it became useless.  I ordered the berley pro steering upgrade and expect it to work much better without having to conduct frequent maintenance to reduce the slack while improving turning radius.

#5 CapeFearHooker

CapeFearHooker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:59 AM

Tried the steering with the boonedox and stock rudder. Was a huge improvement with the stock but, the boonedox changed the game!! I can now do a 180 degree turn in a 2-3' radius.....only real minor issue is heavy current will try and move the rudder if not held. I fish with a homemade "bow chock" mounted in place of the stern handle. Allows me to set up with my stern into the current allowing me to fish free and clear of a out front or side setting anchor rope. Use the quick release rope mount for when I need to drift or fight a bigger fish on the run. Just pop the rope and come back to the float and tie back off. Using the rudder to help offset any wind swing, makes the world of difference too!

#6 dozerd123

dozerd123

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 01:04 PM

Does anyone see a problem with using the boondock rudder on my new manta ray slayer 12 propel? I've only seen articles mentioning the slayer 13 and 10 for this rudder. Got the rudder on order and I hope it works. Also I have seen it mentioned about losing the rudder completely when the screw backs off. Any thoughts on  this issue? ... Thank you. From a new member of this forum

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users