Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

Titan worth it ?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:01 PM

I am looking at buying a kayak, the Titan has caught my. But on other forms they say they are to heavy to " cart" to the water. I live in Colorado and can't find any one that carries them, to look at. I have a pick up and a trailer that I could use to transport it. How are others transporting these " beasts" ? To and from the lake our we're ever your going to fish? And then again once you get to the parking area, getting them to the water ? I know they are bigger then most but can't believe you need special " equipment " to use them.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

At 150+ pounds it's not a craft that you can expect to completely pick up by yourself so if you can't backup a truck bed or trailer to the water then you will need to be able to cart it. Boonedox USA makes a cart which attaches to the gear tracks (Native has its own logo branded version as well) that can get it to the water over relatively smooth and firm surfaces. 

There are smaller, lighter models, so a good question to ask yourself is do you need something as big as the Titan?

If you haven't seen the dealer locator feature on Natives website you can use it to locate the nearest dealer.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:01 PM

Reading the dimensions of the boat are one thing but seeing it in person is a whole 'nother thing. It is huge and is not a kayak...it is a solo-skiff in all respects. You can paddle it...but you won't want to long. It is heavy enough you will want 3 people to help you move it if you don't have a trailer you can back it to the water on.  I am impressed enough with the boat I would like one, but honestly it needs some attention to the height the Propel unit fits down in the water...it cavitates pretty bad pedaling it forward and it makes lots of churning noise.  Reverse catches water fine. The factory does know about this and they think they can fix the cavitation by making a different cavitation plate that fits lower in the shaft of the Propel. The problem I see is that there really isn't a lot of clearance right now between the propeller and the cavitation plate...so we'll see what they end up doing. That is the only negative beside the weight with the boat. It does pedal fine besides the churning...it turns fantastic...and the stability is unreal. Tons of room and if you have never stood in a boat I can say that you will not have any problem standing in this boat. That is important to me as my joints get older I need to be able to stretch and stand some and there is no issues with that in the Titan.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#4 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 07:09 PM

Yes standing is one of the main reasons I am considering one. And I was wondering about the churning noise, I watched a video and thought it sounded strange. Thanks your the first to point that out.( and that is a big deal, to me). I have a 14 foot trailer with a load gate that I could use ( utv trailer) make a rest for it. But I may wait and see what they do next year to it. In the mean time I will keep reading and talking to who ever I can and see what happens. Thanks for your honesty.

#5 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 08:46 AM

I think the real fix to the cavitation (catching air instead of water) is with a prop that has more rake and a different pitch to it. I think lowering the cavitation plate  without lowering the prop into cleaner water isn't the solution. Apparently the boat floats the Propel unit and thus the prop higher and closer to the surface so it pulls air in forward...Couldn't say why it catches fine in reverse (prop issues?) ...but getting the Propel/prop lower would require a longer lower unit length requiring a redesign or lowering the mounts on the boat also requiring a redesign. A slightly shorter prop with more rake to catch the water better to me is the best solution but we'll see what Native comes up with.

#6 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 06:44 PM

HI have seen the boat, next to several other boats. It didn't over shadow them by any means. The only way I knew they were Titans is the logo on the side. But I did not try and lift one, or even get to put my hands on one. These were at a tournements here, that I stopped by to see the " weigh in". I have searched and searched and there is not a dealer any where close to here that I can find. Lakewood Colorado. The guys that had them got them direct from factory, they told me. But until I here they have the cavitation problem fixed I will put my search on slow motion.

#7 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 June 2017 - 07:22 PM

I think the real fix to the cavitation (catching air instead of water) is with a prop that has more rake and a different pitch to it. I think lowering the cavitation plate without lowering the prop into cleaner water isn't the solution. Apparently the boat floats the Propel unit and thus the prop higher and closer to the surface so it pulls air in forward...Couldn't say why it catches fine in reverse (prop issues?) ...but getting the Propel/prop lower would require a longer lower unit length requiring a redesign or lowering the mounts on the boat also requiring a redesign. A slightly shorter prop with more rake to catch the water better to me is the best solution but we'll see what Native comes up with.

I just went to ack and you can see the peddle drive does not hang as low as the others. It could be a thicker hull or like you said the mount is to high. But it's obvious in pictures now that you pointed it out.

#8 fire/fish fighter

fire/fish fighter

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 08:15 AM

colorado outdoor legacy
Check these guys out. Right by chat field reservoir. That's where I got my slayer propel

#9 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 10:18 PM

colorado outdoor legacy
Check these guys out. Right by chat field reservoir. That's where I got my slayer propel

Cool thank you, going to check them out ASAP.!

#10 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:38 AM

Went to there web sight ,called of course they were closed. They do not list the the Titan on there web sight, but I left an e-mail. I used to work right by there, and I have a buddy that works at Stockton stables right there, and I never knew they were there. Native does not show any one in Colorado carrying them. But cool, thanks for the tip. May not be able to demo one ,as it don't look like they stock them. But may be able to purchase one from them.

#11 dwillis3175

dwillis3175

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:03 AM

Hi

I'm considering the Titan as well.  We have a local dealer that has them in stock  "Ozark Trading Company" in Ozark Missouri.  They had it in the show room sitting next to the Propel 12LT.  Seeing this boat in person is so different than looking at pictures/videos.

They have it priced on sale for $3,000, so marked down $249.00

Its a big boat.  I picked up the back and the front and its a heavy boat.  You will not be carrying this to the water, but with the Landing Gear, I really think it will be easy to transport to water if needed.  I plan to get a small trailer that I can back up to the water.

Here are the things that stood out to me.

1.  Its a wide boat 42 inches wide, so makes it very stable.

2. The tracks for the seat go from the middle to the very back of the boat. This gives you seat placement options while fishing. The boat can have a 2.5 motor so this would allow you to have the seat all the way back to operate the motor.  With Seat back it gives a lot of space to stand and walk to the front. The other big thing with this, is a second seat can be installed and this would allow some space for a second person( small - medium size).

With the seat forward there is a lot of space behind you for cooler, tackle, etc

I also want to use this boat for wildlife photography and being able to have the seat further back gives me a lot of room for tripod and camera.

The seat sits higher and has a lot of room below it.

3. Rod storage - two rods can be stored on each side of the boat (total of 4), so they are not in your way in the back of you.

4. Optional trolling motor mount where the Propel drive goes

5. Optional 2.5 motor mount on the back

6. Optional Micro Power pole (2) mounts on the back.  This will make the boat even more stable 

7. Huge storage in front with a removable bucket

The local dealer has a demo day this weekend, so I'm going to try to get out and give it a try.  If I have a chance I will give my thoughts

• Moxymo likes this

#12 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 10:49 AM

I was told by Woody that the 2.5hp gas motor mount on the back isn't going to happen due to Coast guard regulations and specs required for manufacturing the boat. Since it has a hollow internal hull they would be required to put positive internal hull vents on the boat....bilge blowers.

The other thing I was told this past weekend is that the factory's remedy for the propeller cavitation is to cut down the current prop and make it shorter. No new prop...just a trimmed old prop. Don't know how this will impact the boat's performance...but apparently they feel it does fix the cavitation issue.

#13 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

There's no way it's going to improve performance. I would think if they shortened it, they would have to make the blades wider and perhaps change pitch. Are they going to send them to currant owners, ( if it works) under warranty ?

#14 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 03:49 PM

What they did with the latest Propel design was to let it trickle out to the field once the current inventory was sold down. I speculate they will probably do the same with the prop...put the shortened prop on boats as they are shipped out of the factory and offer the prop as a replacement but not under warranty...but who knows. I don't see native investing in making a prop for the various applications they use the Propel in. Outboard motors are sold without props because each boat a motor can be put on requires a different prop for optimal performance. I think a company like YakAttack or BerlyPro will have to take the plunge and design several different props and offer all to the fisherman. Enough Propels are sold and have been sold to justify the cost...and now with Old Town, Jackson and Wildy/Perception jumping into the pedal drive pool, a company that makes nothing but aftermarket props could  certainly make a go at it and do well.

The prostaff have suggested to Native to put out a challenge to some of the technical universities for grad students to come up with the most efficient and fastest prop for different Propel models...winner gets a Propel of their choice for the rights to reproduce the prop...but where the suggestion went....who knows? But certainly in this age of cad programs and 3D printers it would be a fun simple task for a grad student.

#15 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:02 AM

dwillis3175, wondering if you got out and did the demo in the Titan ? Tried to pm you but for some reason it does not work.

#16 dwillis3175

dwillis3175

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:59 AM

Hey Critter69

I ended up going fishing that day and did not make it back in time for the demo. :(

I'm going to check with the store and see if I could still demo it. There is a small river close by the store.

Will keep you posted, once I'm able to.

UPDATE:   I called the dealer and they have another demo day scheduled July 9th, its being held by some fishing pros. If I do not make that one they said they

can let me demo it individually.

#17 dwillis3175

dwillis3175

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

The dealer just called me back and they will also have a Native Pro Staff person onsite as well for this demo.  So

I'm really going to have to make this one. 

#18 mikeyFish

mikeyFish

• Members
  • 105 posts
  • Locationupstate SC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:43 PM

Wow! This is the first yak Native has made in a long time that makes me want to replace my Mariner! My Mariner has a stern-mounted trolling motor & it is the best fishing platform I’ve ever used (including bass-boats) because it is so utterly quiet (until it approaches hull speed you simply can’t hear the motor). Much quieter than a Propel drive. 

However, the one flaw is the hull speed: it simply won’t go faster than 4mph because hull speed is like hitting a brick wall. You can see the hull speed of any yak when the water is smooth. When the wave coming off the bow reaches the rear of the yak, the stern sinks & unless you have enough horsepower to get on plane, it can’t go any faster. 

If the Titan has a hull speed of around 8mph, then it ’s the ideal fishing yak (i.e. speed + silence).

Can’t help but wonder if it had two (small) trolling motors on the stern would it actually get on plane ?

Weight is not an issue for me because I would simply drive it on/off the trailer (just like the Mariner).

Does anyone know what the hull speed for a Titan is ??

#19 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:41 PM

The dealer just called me back and they will also have a Native Pro Staff person onsite as well for this demo.  So
I'm really going to have to make this one.

Cool ,let me know what ya think of it.

#20 Critter69

Critter69

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:15 PM

I think I have found out why the dealers here won't stalk Titans. Have joined a few kayak sights and there seems to be a very large percentage of the Titans shipped that get damaged. There are a few guys I am talking to that have " claims" in but still waiting to here back. So I contacted ACK and they said yes a good number of the Titans end up damaged. And it also may explain why they want a no refundable 1000.00 deposit. One you tube video shows one that is pretty bad, but the guy kept it and had to repair it himself. Not sure I am willing to do that with the cost of them, I would think they should arrive in " brand new condition".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users