Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Resistance from lower cartridge

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nativenut

nativenut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 07:08 PM

I have a new 2017 propel 10 that has been out in the bay a few times now.  I was just able to remove the lower cartridge for routine maintenance when I realized the propeller spindle spins with what seems to be a lot of resistance.  When I spin the cranks without the lower cartridge installed, it spins with zero resistance. Is this expected or should the propeller spindle spin as freely as the cranks do without the cartridge installed?  With the cartridge installed, I would say it is contributing to almost all the resistance felt when pedaling.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,990 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 08:04 PM

It is normal to feel resistance when spinning the removed lower cartridge spindle. With the prop attached there is minimal felt resistance but it should be smooth. You'll feel more resistance with the prop removed and rotating the spindle by hand, maybe in the 1-1.3 lb resistance range, though it's just a guess.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 nativenut

nativenut

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 03 September 2017 - 04:21 PM

I would say that about 90% of the overall Propel pedal resistance comes from the lower cartridge oil seal.  It is part #8 in the picture.

With only the lower cartridge removed from the pedal drive assembly, the upper pedal assembly freewheels without almost 0 drag.

When I spin the lower cartridge shaft with and without the two large bearings, there really is not much of a difference in drag.  

I think applying grease to the lip of the oil seal is really important to the overall ease of pedaling.  

Here are the details of this seal.

Shaft Seal: SDA 079-1 TC 10 25 7 12
Inner Diameter: 10mm
Outer Diameter: 25mm
Width: 7mm

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users