Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Boondox Landing Gear Issue

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mike333h

mike333h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGoldsboro, NC

Posted 30 May 2017 - 09:01 AM

The wife and I went out yesterday to do some salt flat kayaking.  On the way down to the ramp I noticed that the support brackets on the inside of the kayak are starting to poke up through the plastic of the kayak.  It has not made it all the way through yet but I can only think that it is a matter of time before the plastic tears there. 

Has anyone or the staff at Get Outdoors heard of this and will this be covered under the warrantee?

Mike

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 02:35 PM

We haven't yet seen a problem as you describe. We've heard that install on landing gear does not void warranty but can also imagine some determination of proper install and no other sign of unusual force caused the problem. 

Did you buy your SP from Get Outdoors?

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 mike333h

mike333h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • LocationGoldsboro, NC

Posted 31 May 2017 - 07:16 AM

Did you buy your SP from Get Outdoors?

I can understand needing to check for proper install.  And unfortunately I did not get it from Get:Outdoors.  I figured that I would ask y'all if you had ran across it yet since you are a Native dealer. I will however be purchasing my next one from you.

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 09:58 AM

No worries. We're trying to get clarification on what Native deems proper installation and any warranty terms. As it is now there's a bit of uncertainty because even though they are roughly the same product they are being sold in different packages, one branded under Native, with instructions to install using the tracks. Boonedox has the option of using a backing plate for thru hull mounting. 

At this point I would suggest a proactive position by taking photos of the issue and sending them to your dealer for forwarding to Native and or Boonedox.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#5 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 07:06 AM

Just another observation here from a recent "install." The one I mounted is the branded Native version and it appears identical in all ways to the Boonedox.

I had only seen a few mounted to Propel 10s and I was concerned about the width issue back there in the tankwell area, whether there was sufficient clearance for the wheels. So, I called Boonedox directly and talked to the right man, that is certain, as he knew all of the ins and outs, was familiar with my concerns. He said that he had just attended a large fishing tournament where quite a few of the Propel owners had track-installed units, and many were under pretty good gear loads. And, none were having any issues with the track version installation. Knock on wood!

So, this sort of installation does have the installer add the extra bolt to each side of the track to further increase the distribution of the load. Why a backing plate along the underside of the track, itself, wouldn't be another positive step is beyond me; but, now that I have used it a bit, the two knuckles and bar contraption are solid as a rock: no wiggle or visible flexing anywhere that I can see.

Just a guess that we may eventually see newer models of many kayak makes and models with specific mounting sites for these Landing Gears and for others that might be developed. One way to do this might be similar to the mounting plates available on the new Predator PDLs. If these were really anchored, made of strong material . . . and long enough, it'd give each kayaker a bit of control over where to mount them.

Anyway, assuming no misadventures with plastic pulling apart, this is the way to go as it certainly saves a whole lot of time getting on and off the water, on and off the back of a truck.

I did something I had never done before a few days ago. I went fishing in the AM, was awaiting a phone call that would pull me off the water, got it, but then no sooner than I got off, my wife called back with a change of plans. Hmm? If it had been 5 minutes earlier, I would have turned around and kept fishing. But, I went on home (close by) and ate lunch, took a short nap, then decided to go back out in the late afternoon so I did.

I'd never even consider doing this the "old way" but the Landing Gear made getting back on the water a second time, the same day, a snap. 

I assume some of these posts are read by manufacturers. Question: Why aren't you moving faster to accommodate this obvious trend toward more functional carting on and off the water? If you are building really heavy kayaks (Hobie), wouldn't you sell more of them if it were easier to get on and off the water? Native? A lighter vessel, but why not beef up the plastic in critical spots? Predator PDL? Where is a hatch in the rear to give necessary access for these installations? Wilderness ATAK 120? And, on and on we go.

The first manufacturer to attend to this matter ought to have a big selling advantage. 

Brad

• mike333h likes this

#6 wferguson

wferguson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:10 PM

I had the same issue with the stainless steel bars trying to break through the top of the plastic.  I informed Native and they suggested using the modification kit to reinforce the slide tracks and install there.  I did that and can inform forum that that install is much more stable and the landing gear rides much better.  I left the hardware (minus the bars) in the previously drilled holes.   No issues to date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users