Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Delaware Paddlesports custom battery holder...anyone?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scooty Puff Jr

Scooty Puff Jr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 10:44 AM

Hey guys, just curious if anyone has used this: http://www.delawarep...battery-holder/

Looking for a battery mounting solution, considered the Native bag but I found this on their website while looking at the bag.  It's definitely cheaper than the BerleyPro and it looks like it would be possible to charge the battery without removing it from the yak every time.  At $79.99 it's not cheap, but it's priced between the Native bag and BerleyPro dual battery setup. Any opinions or experiences would be appreciated.

#2 411sponge

411sponge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 01:15 PM

I've never seen that option before. Looks really convenient not having to take the battery out. I am considering running a lithium battery on my Slayer 10. They are expensive but they are much lighter and, from what I am told, last longer (more charge/discharge cycles) compared to lead acid batteries.

#3 strickland

strickland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationMelbourne Australia

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:43 AM

I've never seen that option before. Looks really convenient not having to take the battery out. I am considering running a lithium battery on my Slayer 10. They are expensive but they are much lighter and, from what I am told, last longer (more charge/discharge cycles) compared to lead acid batteries.

Completely agree with 411 about the battery holder.

I have the BerleyPro unit (fits 2 batteries, am using one). It has been very satisfactory for my needs. Always good to see competing ideas. Am using LiFePo4 battery (getting about 3 x 8h trips with 75sv).

Can't see clearly how the unit would be installed to prevent dripping running along cables to battery. Hope your research covers this.

Rgds

#4 Scooty Puff Jr

Scooty Puff Jr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for the replies fellas. I figured it was unlikely many had seen it let alone used it. I have currently mounted a Native battery bag using the access cover itself. Might just get the BerleyPro over ten offseason.

#5 wferguson

wferguson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:13 PM

I have the Native bag.  I tied in a Battery Tender Cord and fuse to it so that I don't have to remove every time.  Whenever I need to charge I just open the cover and pull the Battery Tender Cord out to hook into charging unit.  Works fine.  I am considering the Berley Pro unit so that I can get more Amp Hours than the one 8AH battery provides.

#6 IWanaGoFishing

IWanaGoFishing

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 December 2017 - 11:41 PM

Completely agree with 411 about the battery holder.

I have the BerleyPro unit (fits 2 batteries, am using one). It has been very satisfactory for my needs. Always good to see competing ideas. Am using LiFePo4 battery (getting about 3 x 8h trips with 75sv).

Can't see clearly how the unit would be installed to prevent dripping running along cables to battery. Hope your research covers this.

Rgds

Anytime you're running wires in a wet environment, you should use a drip loop.  In this case, the wires would go into the hull and then up to the battery, which would provide a drip loop.  Also, for folks using a SLA battery, use a set of waterproof wire connectors like this:  http://a.co/aSJk9Ib (amazon).  Put connectors on your fishfinder, lights, etc., one on your battery, and one on your battery charger.  

• Moxymo likes this

#7 DaveF

DaveF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 01:43 PM

I also have the native bag to which I added a Battery Tender type leed. Cut a small notch in the lip of the cover and just let the plug end lay out alongside cover, so charging battery does not require taking off cover. Works fine.
  • Moxymo likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users