Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

FX15 Tandem rudder replacement parts?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chronchameleon

chronchameleon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:47 PM

I got my Ultimate FX 15 tandem a few months ago from Austin Kayak. They had a slightly used one with the rudder kit for the same price as a brand new one without the rudder kit, so I went with the used one. I've used it a handful of times since getting it and during my last use I noticed a problem with my rudder: the black plastic part that the long pin goes through to hold the rudder to the bracket on the boat was cracked and a piece fell off. The rudder still works but it's much more wobbly now. I have definitely not hit anything with the rudder and I remove it every time it transport the boat. I suspect it was damaged during shipping since the rudder was on the boat when it arrived, but just wasn't noticeable. I contacted Austin Kayak to see if they had parts, they didn't and said I would have to replace the rudder kit ($300, NOPE). I asked them to contact Native to see if they could get a part through their rep and Native's answer was also to replace the whole thing, which is quite frankly--ridiculous. It is clearly a part that can be replaced--it's held in place by 2 small alan key screws.

SO, looks like I'm gonna rig something up myself. Just wondering if anyone else has had the same issue and what you did to fix it.

Attached Files

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:54 PM

If you are handy with tools, I would see about getting some of the set screws from a fastening company, then figure out how to possibly cut the top broken piece off and add another screw to the bottom end. Then get a piece of Starboard from Ebay and cut out a new top piece and drill it. Add another set screw to the top to secure. The other thing you could try is to get a piece of aluminum plate and cut it to the same width as the top of that plastic and then secure it to the plastic with a couple of screws...drill a hole though it to align with the pin hole.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 chronchameleon

chronchameleon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 03:15 PM

If you are handy with tools, I would see about getting some of the set screws from a fastening company, then figure out how to possibly cut the top broken piece off and add another screw to the bottom end. Then get a piece of Starboard from Ebay and cut out a new top piece and drill it. Add another set screw to the top to secure. The other thing you could try is to get a piece of aluminum plate and cut it to the same width as the top of that plastic and then secure it to the plastic with a couple of screws...drill a hole though it to align with the pin hole.

Yeah, I'll probably rig something up eventually. For now it's still working ok. I was just a bit disappointed that it didn't last long but on the other had it was used. The plastic just seems really brittle for such an expensive add-on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users