Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Ultimate 12 vs Ultimate FX 12

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dump

dump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 05:26 PM

I have been pondering this purchase for some time now. I have paddled a 16 foot Mohawk around Middle Tennessee for years. I'm getting to old to lug this behemoth around. I've paddled a few sit-tops and not too keen on them. I keep circling back to this boat and like the idea of the hybrid style. Today I took a ride and looked at the "FX" model and leaning back towards the basic model again. No much on all the frills. I'm more of a casual sight-seeing paddler. More likely to have a camera in hand than a fishing rod.

Questions:

Is the seat difference between the two that big of deal? Any change from a flat aluminum seat with occasional pad is got to be better, lol

Is the rocker the same between the two boats? One of the rivers I frequent has some current, but mostly backwater exploring

I am close to pulling the trigger as I can get the basic for $949 +$1 shipping

Thanks in advance

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 07:40 PM

Welcome to the forum.

The seat comfort between the two is quite identical. The main difference is in the way the attaches to the hull and the weight difference between the two systems. The original is lighter than the FX however the FX is a more solid attachment method due to the seat insert but does come with an additional weight penalty.

The rocker is also nearly identical however on the original the tunnel hull is deeper than the FX. Moving river water it's not a problem for either and both are capable of handling light class two rapids.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 dump

dump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 08:50 AM

Thanks so much for the quick response. Just what I wanted hear. I'll give it the weekend before I order. My next hurdle is a paddle. I will probably just stick with my single blade t-handle until I figure this out. The beam on this boat is no more than I'm used to now. I'm hoping to not pay a great amount of tuition buying several kayak paddles until I find a fit.
  • NOG Admin likes this

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:23 AM

You're welcome. Werner paddles has a useful guide that can help determine a double bladed paddle length. You do sit lower in the kayak than a canoe so you might find a canoe paddle a bit less efficient and ergonomic.

http://www.wernerpad....com/fit-guide/

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#5 dump

dump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

Thanks again. Point taken and appreciated. The guide provides a good start from a trusted source. Some many choices as I anticipated. Almost like finding a pair of shoes that fit your purpose.
  • NOG Admin likes this

#6 b737

b737

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:21 AM

I have both. The FX 12 is heavier, but not that much. The FX is more stable, and sits higher in the water. Some complain about that, saying it catches more wind, maybe - not much. But the FX catches far less water in rougher conditions because the gunnels are higher. Seats when sitting - equal-, but the convenience of the FX seats up/down and back/forward to adjust trim is far far better. As are the added upgrades, mounting tracks, Hatch cover, carrying handles, etc. I think the 12 FX is a far better boat. NOTE on rudders, since the FX sits about 2 inches higher, the stock Native rudder is not as effective on the FX, works but not as well as on the Basic 12 or the Slayer 12. I also prefer "toe pedals" for rudder control.
Both are good boats, and far more stable than most canoes (which I also like).
  • dump likes this

#7 dump

dump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 06:03 AM

Thanks for all your help. Well, I made the drive to see the native FX12 and it reinforced my wants for the basic design. I also stopped by a local shop and took a gander at the Jackson Tripper 12 but it was about 10 pounds heavier. I have the boat in the cart at Appomottax River Co at $949 + $1 shipping. And, a Bending Branches Angler Ace 240cm in the cart at Clearwater Outdoor at $192 + free shipping. By the time you read this I hope I have pushed the buttons. I, like many, spend way to much time researching this stuff, lol.

#8 dump

dump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

Done. I again thanks so much for the advise.

• NOG Admin likes this

#9 dump

dump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 05:46 PM

I received my boat today and took it for a test run. Nice! And by the way the seat does several inches of forward and aft adjustment. New for 2017?

#10 GKING

GKING

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 April 2017 - 10:18 PM

Congrats on the new boat

#11 dump

dump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 28 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

Love this boat. The only downside, and it might be unfounded, is the hull material seems to be very tender. I have only had it out a couple times so far and the bottom is taking a beating. Nothing crazy just soft landing on concrete boat ramps and creek gravel bottoms scrapes. I'm guessing this the trade-off for lightweight. The ole' Mohawk is a tank and weighs as much. I just don't see this one lasting as long without failure.

#12 dump

dump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

Attached File  20170502_062856.jpg   429.7KB   0 downloads

Love, love, love my new boat, And, now I carry the boat to the truck or visa versa.

#13 GKING

GKING

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 04:53 PM

Sharp boat. Had mine a few months and really enjoying it too.
  • dump likes this

#14 dump

dump

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 04 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

I gain confidence in this boat every day. It's perfect for anyone looking for a light stable boat. I am about to do a 28 mile float from Center Hill Lake Dam to the Cumberland River. Prepared to stay one night if need be. I can do this by adding only around 20 pounds of gear. The scratches and gouges still kill me, lol. But, hindsight is always 20/20.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users