Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Storage/travel cover for FX15 tandem

ultimate fx tandem cover storage

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chronchameleon

chronchameleon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 12:22 PM

I've had my FX 15 tandem for a couple months now and have it rigged up pretty nicely for solo and tandem paddling. Even built a trolling motor mount which makes my buddies jealous as I zip around using the rudder & foot controls for steering for lol. 

The main thing that I still need to get squared away is some kind of storage/travel cover. We'll be taking a long road trip this summer and I plan on taking the FX with us. It is MUCH easier to load it on the roof with the hull down, but I'll have a hell of a time getting it down if it gets filled with rain as we drive. I would also prefer to just leave it on my trolley to store it after I unload it rather than flip it over & a cover for that would be nice too. If Native made a fitted one I would buy it in a heartbeat, but apparently they don't. Given how long the 15 is I have only been able to find canoe covers and even then they are the sleeve type that basically envelops the entire boat rather than just covering the top, which would be difficult to put on if it's on the roof of my car (I drive an Element, so it's somewhat high up).

Anyone got any suggestions? Native, if you're listening make a cover! Preferably one that can snap on around the top or be cinched down.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.

The ideal way to transport the kayak is hull up, which provides a more rigid structure for the straps than the opposite way. That's not to say you can't do it hull down but you are likely to experience more hull flex due to the inwards pressure of the straps will put on the gunnels. This can lead to loosening of the straps and instability of your kayak being secured. Bow and stern lines would also be recommended, especially of shorter rooftops.

Have you had a look at Dannu covers? http://www.danuu.comThey've been around for awhile and have a good reputation.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 chronchameleon

chronchameleon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 11:03 AM

Thanks, I have seen the Danuu covers but didn't realize they had so many options. Looks like that may be the way to go. As far as the gunnel pressure issue, I made some beams that run between the sides when I have it strapped on the car to keep the sides from being pulled in when it is strapped down & I also have Thule load stops on my rack that prevent any side to side movement. I do always use bow and stern lines, but not with too much tension (learned that the hard way on my canoe years ago--ended up bending one side of the hull.) I do realize that carrying hull side up is preferable, but given the weight of the FX15 and the type of vehicle I drive it is much harder for me to load by myself hull side up and avoid scratching the roof of my Element (the rear bar of the rack doesn't sit back far enough to avoid sliding it on the roof a bit before it hits the rack), whereas I can slide it on the roof in 2 minutes hull side down.

Thanks again, looks like I'll be getting a Danuu cover!

• NOG Admin likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ultimate fx, tandem, cover, storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users