Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo

Garmin Transducer thru hull mount

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Coppereagl

Coppereagl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:02 PM

I picked up a Garmin 54DV for my FX propel, went to install using the kayaks transducer cowl underneath, only to find out the garmin transducer is huge, like a smooth shiny brick. It will not fit in the transducer spot without dragging under the boat, risking grinding on the ground.

Has anyone in hull mounted a larger transducer? Or should I stick with trying a swing arm style like the RAM arm

#2 Pelican

Pelican

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 09:27 PM

Here's how I set up my HB SideImage transducer. I actually have it a little deeper than the photos show. I raise it when I come in and lower it when I launch. When I'm not on the water I remove it and store it in the front hatch.

Attached Files

#3 Coppereagl

Coppereagl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

Thanks, I saw your post earlier I may go that route, I really like how you went off the nose of the boat versus the side. I'm just curious if anyone has tried through hull mounting if it makes a big difference, mostly I'm trying to avoid the hassle of taking the unit in or out of the water when I get shallow. My unit does not have side imaging so that's not a concern.
  • Pelican likes this

#4 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 31 March 2017 - 08:46 PM

Shooting through the hull works fine. I have done it on several kayaks over the years using silicone to attach transducer. Water temp is a feature that will no longer work.

I currently use Ram mount over side, mounted to trac. The Ram arm is cut to length and does not hang below bottom of yak so it does not touch bottom. I do have it where I can reach it while seated. This allows for quick lifting inboard yak to clear any vegetation or obstacles. Easy to remove and attach to which ever yak I decide to use.

#5 Warhawk

Warhawk

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 08:51 PM

I used a Garmin 70dv for a while, transducer mounted inside the hull in Duct Seal. Worked great, but like mentioned above the temp reading was off a degree or two.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users