Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Landing Gear Install

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 scorpion1971

scorpion1971

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:08 AM

I mounted my BooneDox Landing Gear to my T-Tracks on my Slayer Propel 13. I bought the regular one that did not come with Hardware for mounting to the tracks. I bought 2 Railblaza StarPort HD TracMount kits to use to mount to the tracks. When using just the screws they where a tad to long. I ended up buy some SS 1/4 x 20, 3/4" long hex head bolts with SS steal washers from fastnel at a cost of under $6. You could also buy the Yak Attack 1/4-20 Track Nut, 6 pack for $10, instead of the Raiblaza mount kit as I did. I am not sure if square nuts for the bolts that come with the landing gear will fit the track or not. I used the short 9" center bar with the landing gear. This puts it in the rear of the tankwell. I am not sure if you need to install the other screw and nut to hold the track down or not but I am planning to do so. I have the truss head screws on order from Fastnel as well. 

I had a hard time trying to figure out which bar to use and where to mount. I had tried mounting at the front of the tankwell with both bars. The 9" bar seemed to short. The 17" bar was to long and prevented the legs of the landing gear to insert all the way into the knuckels. I ended up taking the 9" bar and inserted that into the knuckles to where it just passed the second set screw then secured it in place. With both knuckles set I insatalled the bolts washer and track nut on the knuckles but left them real loose. Then it was a matter of sliding it on the track. Start with the bolt on the one side then the other side back and forth until all four on on the tracks. Even out everything on the each side and tighten everything down.

Now I just need to decide how to rig out the rest of the Kayak. I have my paddle and stakeout pole to mount which most likely will get mounted on the sides of the propel. If you have the landing gear installed on your propel lets see some of your rigging photos and what has worked foe you. 

• NOG Admin likes this

#2 scorpion1971

scorpion1971

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:21 PM

After some pondering about drilling into the yak I came up with a solution to storing my paddle. Since I did not use the backing plates to make nut the Landing Gear I used them to move the yak attack paddle keepers of the side of the kayak. I used SS eye bolt and a track but to mount the backing plate to the t-track. I will add pics once I get them uploaded.

#3 scorpion1971

scorpion1971

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

Here are the Pics.

IMG_0783_zps5d0darfa.jpg

IMG_0786_zpszsypqxz4.jpg

IMG_0785_zpsprrmuqtc.jpg

IMG_0784_zps79z2lefc.jpg

• NOG Admin and Mike13695 like this

#4 mtskibum16

mtskibum16

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:37 PM

Are you worried about the strength of the rails?  They will be supporting the full weight of the back of the boat when you're rolling it around and the attachments will be in tension?  I would question if they are designed for that kind of loading as most rail uses put the rail attachments in compression.  Something to think about and monitor.  I do like your extended paddle supports though.

#5 Hannzo24

Hannzo24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:10 AM

Are you worried about the strength of the rails?  They will be supporting the full weight of the back of the boat when you're rolling it around and the attachments will be in tension?  I would question if they are designed for that kind of loading as most rail uses put the rail attachments in compression.  Something to think about and monitor.  I do like your extended paddle supports though.

Native has actually endorsed installing the Landing Gear on the rails.  I haven't seen one installed at the very back end like this though.  I know why he is doing it.  I have mine installed on the front of the rear tracks and neither bar that the Landing Gear comes with fits very good here.  I'm actually going to cut the long bar to make it fit correctly.

#6 mtskibum16

mtskibum16

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:33 AM

Native has actually endorsed installing the Landing Gear on the rails.  I haven't seen one installed at the very back end like this though.  I know why he is doing it.  I have mine installed on the front of the rear tracks and neither bar that the Landing Gear comes with fits very good here.  I'm actually going to cut the long bar to make it fit correctly.

Awesome!  Thanks for the info.

#7 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMooresville NC

Posted 19 March 2017 - 01:08 AM

Just my opinion but there mounted to far back.Most of the weight will be on you . I have a ctug cart and when i have it farther back I have to support all the weight.Moved it under seat more of the weight was on cart and way more easier to walk with ,less weight on me . Plus if you watch the youtube video from Native it shows how  they mounted them. I dont beleive the rails that far back have the brass inserts just the front 2 .

Good luck ED

• NOG Admin likes this

#8 Banjo46

Banjo46

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

Anyone mount to a SP10 yet without the rails?

#9 mtskibum16

mtskibum16

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

Can you elaborate on that? It doesn't fit well, but it does fit?  What makes it not fit well?  Are those bars aluminum or steel?

#10 Bubaa

Bubaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:39 PM

Anyone mount to a SP10 yet without the rails?

Yes me....just did it tonight. Plan A was to install behind the seat to make the pivot point closer to the center...well....boo hoo hoo....it would have worked perfectly but those wheel tubes were too short by 1". After testing it out behind the seat the wheels would rub on the hull.If Boondox had made the tubes 1" longer...bob would have been my uncle....I thought of modifying the tube by adding a little pin to reduce the travel play.....or something inside the black cross bar.to reduce the travel play....it worked but I now have to spend extra money and time to modify the landing gear.

....I really really wanted to mount it behind my seat.....but no way it was going to work with some sort of modification to the landing gear. I settled with plan B pass behind those rod tube holders. This all work but as I suspected the clearance of the wheels is pretty tight...I estimate about 0.5" clearance. see the pics. ...the weight is quite up there due to the pivot point. Adding all the gear...I better head to golds gym now....

Am I happy where I installed it? No.....Am I happy with the product for the Propel 10?...Let's say I would give 10 out of 10 if the tube was 1" longer. Installing on the rails would have made the pivot point even way back,,,,Probably a 7 now..I do like the idea of not strapping down the boat and the ease of using the landing gear. So a big plus there. 

Comparing to my other elcheepo cart where I had it in the middle....it was a breeze to pull it as it was light as the weight was distributed about 55/45. Now this one feels 90/10. 

Sorry, the pictures are dark as I was installing it in the evening just now. 

Attached Files

Early to bed...early to rise....fish like hell and make up lies....

#11 Banjo46

Banjo46

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:01 AM

Looks pretty good!  Yeah that is too bad about the rod.  Not much clearance, but I like this better than on the tracks.

#12 Bubaa

Bubaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 08:48 PM

Took my landing gear on its maiden voyage just now. Works well. But man....not use to the "up front" weight. Gonna get some serious bicep workout this summer.....

I had to modify the landing gear wheels as when fully loaded the hull will flex or exhibit some stretch at the bolt section and rub the wheels when they are in the most inboard section. To fix this problem....I went to home depot and picked up some 1" pipe tubing and use it to push the wheels outboard. See pics. 

I wish Boone dox would make or sell longer backing plates. The original ones seems abit short...Not enough support on length to distribute the load. I can see and feel that slight bulge....kinda gives you the willies...that the plastic might give and rip.....after experiencing that seat denting issues. Well. hopefully not. :)

So for functionality and performance of the landing gear on the slayer 10...I'll give it a 10. Location installation I have to give it a 6.

Attached Files

#13 68camaro

68camaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 09:13 PM

So Bubba, are you saying your picot point is too forward making it heavy to pickup and move? If so is the end of cargo track a better pivot area? When I thought I was getting the PA12 I bought the Boonedox PA extension bar (25") to fit its wide stance. Could I use this bar instead of bar that comes with regular Boonedox kit to widen wheel base?

Thanks

#14 Bubaa

Bubaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC.

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:48 PM

68camaro...The pivot point is too far back making the lifting at the front heavy. By putting on the seat tracks you will be pushing the pivot point even further...Maybe 4 more inches...Which adds a few more extra pounds to the front. I was going to try an install right behind the seat but it won't work due to the curvature of the hull...Needing a flat spot to bolt down the bolts. Not sure about the longer PA bar. I know I ran into some constraints. The longest bar was too short to pick up the additional screw. There's two set screws you need to pick up on the orange bar at the bottom. The wheels were also rubbing big time due to the draft height.....I know I had a bunch of issues which cause me grieve....So I ended up where I am behind the rod holders. I considered the track mounting but found the pivot point too far back for my liking. I like saving a few pounds too... Hope this helps.

#15 68camaro

68camaro

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 May 2017 - 08:34 PM

It does Bubba thanks, I'll experiment to see where it seems best.

#16 Banjo46

Banjo46

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:27 PM

I can't believe nobody (ctug/landing gear/native) can get this right.

I did see c-tug sells a new strap. In my opinion it should be free.

#17 wferguson

wferguson

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 01:19 PM

I mounted my landing gear on the rails behind the seat.  I just cut the orange bar about an inch so that it would fit right.  It is stronger there, because of the reinforcement kit (added bolts to holes in rail) and the thicker plastic there.  This was suggested by Native.  This puts less work on me (pivot point closer to middle of boat) and less strain on the plastic than when installed directly to plastic as in the YouTube videos.  Went that route and almost tore a hole in my boat.

#18 scorpion1971

scorpion1971

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 04:40 PM

I actually move my landing gear as close to the seat as possible with being mounted to the track. At first the longest bar seemed to be to long but it works. You will just be able to get the leg key to fit inside the buckle. You have to be aware of this to make sure you can get each side equal to keep the legs from seeming like they will fall apart from not being secured.

#19 YakDude

YakDude

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 December 2017 - 04:37 PM

Yes me....just did it tonight. Plan A was to install behind the seat to make the pivot point closer to the center...well....boo hoo hoo....it would have worked perfectly but those wheel tubes were too short by 1". After testing it out behind the seat the wheels would rub on the hull.If Boondox had made the tubes 1" longer...bob would have been my uncle....I thought of modifying the tube by adding a little pin to reduce the travel play.....or something inside the black cross bar.to reduce the travel play....it worked but I now have to spend extra money and time to modify the landing gear.

....I really really wanted to mount it behind my seat.....but no way it was going to work with some sort of modification to the landing gear. I settled with plan B pass behind those rod tube holders. This all work but as I suspected the clearance of the wheels is pretty tight...I estimate about 0.5" clearance. see the pics. ...the weight is quite up there due to the pivot point. Adding all the gear...I better head to golds gym now....

Am I happy where I installed it? No.....Am I happy with the product for the Propel 10?...Let's say I would give 10 out of 10 if the tube was 1" longer. Installing on the rails would have made the pivot point even way back,,,,Probably a 7 now..I do like the idea of not strapping down the boat and the ease of using the landing gear. So a big plus there. 

Comparing to my other elcheepo cart where I had it in the middle....it was a breeze to pull it as it was light as the weight was distributed about 55/45. Now this one feels 90/10. 

Sorry, the pictures are dark as I was installing it in the evening just now. 

I placed my Landing Gear is the exact location using the same method on my SP 13 and so far it works beautifully!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users