Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo

Manta Ray Propel Paddle Speed?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:23 AM

NOG/All,

I have seen a video with one man pedaling either the Liquid Logic version or the Native Manta Ray Propel, I can't recall which one it was, and he said that he can pedal at 4 MPH with just that sort of average speed many of us use on the water, about 5 MPH as a top speed. I own a Propel 10 and I would think this is about 1 mph faster in each case. Not sure how this compares to the faster speeds of the Propel 13.

My question is with its pointed bow and stern, if you pull the drive up, or leave it at home, how does this new model paddle? In terms of speed and tracking would be two interesting things to know.

It sure looks like it would be a great paddler; if so, this will be what I would call a very nice "finesse kayak" where an angler could toss on a few Plano boxes, a few rods . . . light weight, easy to get on and off the water.

Anyway, will some of you who have purchased one, or NOG if you have tested/demo'd it on the water, comment on its paddling, please?

Brad

• Marvinforte likes this

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 09:29 AM

We were told that the hull below the waterline came from the Liquid Logic Marvel 12. Since that boat is a great paddling hull, I would expect the MR12P paddles very similar. It would have a bit more drag from the added scuppers and Propel opening, but the hull shape and dynamics come straight from a paddling boat.

• Bradleto likes this
Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks! I found a few references to the Marvel 12 you mentioned as being the Manta Ray Propel's source for general hull design. The two kayaks do look similar with their pointed bows and sterns. The Marvel 12 is the same approximate length at 12' and 3" narrower at 30".

One of the comments related to its speed was that the Marvel was able to be paddled at about 4 mph coming back home into a head wind with some waves. I think it was this same source who used a sail to go out checking that out . . . and said that he achieved 6 to 8 mph with a 15 mph tailwind. This is significant, I think, because it relates to hull speed, so if one was a super fast pedaler or paddler, there'd be little hull speed limitation holding it back.

Well, if the Manta Ray Propel 12 happens to be a 4 mph paddler with no extended effort, in neutral settings (calm water and no wind), then this is going to be one heck of a multi-powered vessel.

Of all the pedal fishing kayaks on the market I can think of, I don't know of any off hand that would be able to both paddle and pedal at 4+ mph with a medium effort. 5+ mph for quick bursts in each would be fabulous.

The only other kayak that might be capable of this combination of speeds that comes to my mind might be the Native Ultimate FX Propel with its extra foot of length and pointy bow and stern likely making it a good combo vessel.

I look forward to hearing more from actual experiences once this new kayak is out for a while.

Brad

#4 cbass4

cbass4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 01:57 PM

Has anyone bought a Manta Ray Propel yet on here?  I'm anxious to hear their experience with this vessel and how it handles on the water.  I've seen walkthrough videos, but somebody on here needs to give us some real world experience.  If I do purchase this kayak, it will be in the spring.  It's snowing here in New England, and I'm getting my ice fishing gear in order, so there'll be no open water fishing in the near future for me.

• Bucktrout likes this

#5 bmb

bmb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

it's a great kayak cbass.  good stability (not as strong as the SP13 or SP10 of course), but great tracking, hull speed and sound.  nice and quiet and doesn't push water like the SP13.  I'm still working on my full review.

Native Watercraft Pro Staff

#6 cbass4

cbass4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 06:32 PM

Hello BMB, I've been wondering if you purchased your Manta Ray Propel yet.  I'm glad you picked one up, and I look forward to hearing your full review and any pictures you'd like to share.  I'm encouraged by your comments regarding its speed, stealth, and tracking.  Speed and tracking definately influenced me to focus on this kayak rather than the Slayer Propel 10'.

#7 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:02 PM

One of the guys over on Facebook, Benjamin, tested his and got it up to 5.2 mph with no great sweat but a nice hard pedal effort. And, it was evident from the video of the test run that it tracks very tightly.

He also mentioned that it was not quite as stable for standing as a 10 or 13 . . . and that makes sense knowing that the 13 is less tapered, same even more so for the 10 which is also wider.

My "take" on this new vessel is that where it fits, it'd be hard to beat. I see it as a "finesse" kayak for going out with a few Plano boxes 2 or 3 reels, easy on and easy off the water. Car topping and thrown in the back of a truck maybe eliminating the need for a trailer.

At 325 lbs. capacity, this is going to prevent someone from loading it up like some of the guys do, say, in the various kayak fishing tournaments. Some of these guys carry as much gear as a tournament bass boat . . . on a whole lot less real estate!

Anyway, I think this is going to be an exceptional vessel at its price point.

Brad

#8 Nickman9000

Nickman9000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

I'm very interested in one of these boats. I really like my Mariner  for the ability to stand up.

How is standing up in the Manta Ray?

#9 cbass4

cbass4

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:17 PM

Currently, I have a Cuda 12 which is 31" wide compared to the Manta Ray Propel's 33" width.  I've had no problems standing and fishing from my Cuda.  People have different balance abilities, so this is all relative.  I would say test pedal one of these on your own and see if you can stand up and sit back down. 

Cbass4

#10 Bradleto

Bradleto

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:40 AM

Agreed. Test one.

What you will likely find mirrors the load capacity statistic and its general dimensions that identify this vessel as light, fast . . . but less stable than others of that width.

This, because the vessel tapers very strongly to the bow and stern. So, CPass4's Cuda is narrower but likely has more average width along its length by comparison.

Still, a fabulous kayak, I think, for its designed purposes.

Brad

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users