Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Keeleazy

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EdR

EdR

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationMooresville NC

Posted 30 December 2016 - 06:34 AM

Was wondering if anyone has used KeelEazy to protect the keel on your kayak and is it worth the money. http://www.keeleazy.com/

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:58 AM

A few members and a friend have applied the guard. Results and duration of adhesion have varied from 3 months to a few years. If you input keel guard or keel easy into the "Search" filed, located at the top right side of the homepage, you will see a number of results.

-Hope this helps
  • EdR likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 Jbaur13

Jbaur13

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 21 July 2017 - 11:09 PM

I know there's other threads out there on this, but this one is the only one I found that called it out by exact name which is "keeleazy".

This is a product that I have been extremely happy with. I have been purchasing this online at the price of $4 per ft. It takes approx 18" to protect the hull of an SP10. That $6 of material + shipping is worth it.

Here's why I like it...

It's fairly durable. Is it months? Maybe. Is it years? Definitely not. What I've found is it lasts for around 10 launches on concrete before it wears through. I figure it's around 80ยข per launch to protect my hull. I feel that is a great value.

It is easy to apply. I feel like I really need to make my own video of this, because the ones out there do not do it justice. Basically, you cut the piece (I recommend using something like the lid to a jar that is appropriate to the width of the strip, so there are no corners... Everything is rounded). Figure out where the strip will adhere on the kayak, use a low grit sandpaper to scuff up the area where the strip will adhere, follow this with alcohol to remove any contamination. Remove all the backing paper and lay the strip centered on the keel. Do not touch the strip at this point other than to center it (don't try to force it to wrap around the hull). Once it's centered use the heat gun to heat up the strip (hold the heat gun approx 3" away and keep moving it back and forth across the strip, you want to heat it as evenly as possible). If you heat it up evenly it will shrink/conform and lay correctly on the hull without any help from your fingers.

Lastly, it's easy to remove. I simply use a heat gun to loosen one edge, peel it up and continue to heat the strip as I peel it off. Use alcohol to remove anything which did not come off with the heat gun.
  • Jbaur13 likes this

#4 R HUMM

R HUMM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

I used to use Keeleazy on my slayer propel, but on the third application had some that apparently there was something wrong with the adhesive. When I mentioned it to the company, the reply suggested they were being taken advantage of even though there was no mention of asking for replacement of a defective product. I now use the wider version of Gorilla Tape. Much cheaper and almost as good as the Keeleazy.  One of my launches has ground shell and neither Gorilla or Keeleazy  survive more than 2 launches at that location. Heat gun strategy works on Gorilla Tape too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users