Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo

Trolling Motor Mount

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 johnkook73

johnkook73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPrince George, Va

Posted 13 December 2016 - 02:10 PM

Anyone get the trolling motor mount yet? If so what make and model trolling motor are you using. I will probably get one for the larger lakes in my area. 

#2 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 16 December 2016 - 08:07 PM

I got one and it worked out great.   Make sure you check with Native to determine which size you need.  I was told that for my '09 16' Ultimate Propel Multi-Sport I would need the 20" size.  I don't know what sizes there are but the 20" fit mine perfectly.  I was surprised because Customer Service had told me that they were made for the newer model propels and it may not fit mine.  I ordered it anyway figuring I would have to modify it ... but no modification was needed. 

I bought a Minn Kota C5 55# thrust.  With just me, a paddle, two batteries and a PFD, I estimate I was doing about 8 to10 MPH.  Really good speed.  I wanted to use an 86# thrust but the motor foot is too large to fit through the propel opening.

I did modify the trolling motor.  It had a 36" shaft and I cut it down to 18", and reversed the handle so it points the same direction as the prop does.  This because you are sitting behind the motor instead of in front of it.    It was an easy conversion.  I removed the six head  screws and removed the head cover.  There are six wires inside that mount with spade connectors.  I made a diagram so I would know which wire went where when it came time to reassemble.  Once all the wires were loose I removed the head from  the shaft by taking out the bolt and nut that holds the head and shaft together.   then I cut the shaft with a 1" tubing cutter.  I don't advise using a hack saw because there are 6 wires in the shaft and I would be scared of damaging them.   Being very careful I drilled the right size hole in the shaft the same length from the top as the original was on the part of the shaft that I cut off.    Once drilled the shaft  I ran wires back into the head and remounted the now shorter shaft to the head, but facing the opposite direction than it was before.  Not having new spade clips available, I just packed the extra 18" of wire back into the head and reconnected all of the wires.  It was a tight fit but I got them all in.  I intend the get new connectors so I can remove all of the excess wire and put new spade clips. 

The rig has worked great for me.  

A group of us do 7 day river trips.  At 70 yrs old the paddling can get to me after a while.  We sometimes do 20 miles a day and keeping up with the  younger 40- 50 yr olds can be a challenge.  It is good to have the trolling motor as a backup when needed.  I carry two fully charged batteries with me to make sure I don't run short on power.

I highly recommend that you give the motor mount a try,   Beats paddling ,,, and peddling.

• NOG Admin likes this

#3 johnkook73

johnkook73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 December 2016 - 02:00 PM

Wow, thanks for all the information. What kind of batteries are you using? Also how many hours approximately are you getting?

#4 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 18 December 2016 - 09:13 AM

I use the AGM marine batteries (Aggregated Glass Matt).  They run about $250 each at Cabela's but I found them for $95 at a closeout store so  picked up three.  I carry two with me.   Straight running at high speed I get about 1-1/2 hrs .  You will know when it is time to change over because it gets really slow.  If you run at a slower speed the batteries last a lot longer, and go farther.  

I usually use it on 7 day river trips.  I only use them as a backup when I have to.  Kind of like insurance when I get tired of paddling or I have to buck a hard current. 

#5 johnkook73

johnkook73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 December 2016 - 12:00 PM

Okay, thank you.

#6 johnkook73

johnkook73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:59 AM

In reference to the tubing cutter, is it something like this?

https://www.amazon.c...ng cutter&psc=1

#7 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

Sorry to take so long.  I just saw this.   The tube cutter you listed is very similar to mine.   As long as it can fit the 1"OD you should be good.  My shaft is carbon fiber and cut easier than metal. 

#8 Pelican

Pelican

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

Make sure the wheel on the cutter will cut deep enough to cut through the carbon fiber shaft.

#9 johnkook73

johnkook73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:54 PM

Thanks, ended up being able to do it with some help. I cut down a Newport Vessels one but that was a pain in the33 lol! Any of you guys find what depth below the bottom of the kayak where you had the greatest speed? Currently mine is a 37lb thrust and Im getting top speed around 3.9-4.

#10 ras

ras

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 30 March 2017 - 10:30 AM

Jack,

What size batteries are you using? Seems like a lot of weight with 2.

#11 Pelican

Pelican

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 02 April 2017 - 07:54 PM

Jack,

What size batteries are you using? Seems like a lot of weight with 2.

Look at Lithium ion, they are $$$ but light weight.
I'm running a 125 Amp Hr in mine.

#12 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 01 October 2017 - 07:10 PM

Sorry ... just saw this ... I use 12 V AGM batteries.  Not sure of the Amps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users