Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Pros and cons of Ultimate 14.5 and FX15

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 neckbone

neckbone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:59 PM

OK, so I currently have a Slayer propel 13. I love this boat, but I my wife has found out she enjoys going out well. Looks like I'm being given the green light to start a fleet.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who's owned both boats. Give me your opinion on each boat. I'll be using in lakes, rivers and inshore salt (rarely). I do plan on using this for fishing shoals for smallmouth, so it'll definitely be used as a single some too. I also have three young kids.

I will be trailering it. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:01 AM

In short summary,

1- lighter weight
2- less expensive
3- slightly more maneuverable

1- greater carrying capacity - better suited for 2 adults
2- sturdier seat attachment to hull

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 porcha

porcha

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:54 PM

not sure if the Ult 14.5 has the rail track systems that the Slayer and Ult FX have....I'd lean towards FX so I can use track accessories universally

FWIW I've got a FX12 and SP13

#4 neckbone

neckbone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:21 PM

Hmmmmm. I have a fishing machine in the SP13. I've been in an ult 16, and absolutely loved it. I really like the accessory tracks and the high low seats, but are they worth $600? Same price, no question I'm getting the FX15. Damn decisions. Haha

#5 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,488 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 09:18 AM

The tandem U14.5 is good for 2 small adults or an adult and child. With larger adults it can draft a lot of water and could get serious if the waves get up. The FX15 is a work horse. It will do fine in the water you mention.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#6 kayl

kayl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 11:09 PM

The tandem U14.5 is good for 2 small adults or an adult and child. With larger adults it can draft a lot of water and could get serious if the waves get up. The FX15 is a work horse. It will do fine in the water you mention.

I love my FX 15. We've fit 2 adults, 2 kids, & a toddler in it with ease. Even with that much weight (maybe 475# give or take) we had good stability and no draft concerns. The FX 15 is great solo too. I will be buying a Propel model for myself in the future, but don't see my family getting rid of the FX 15 any time soon.
  • neckbone likes this

#7 neckbone

neckbone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 06:31 PM

Great to hear Kayl. Describes my family except one small adult and one over 200lbs. Think I may save my pennies for the FX

#8 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 17 October 2016 - 07:39 PM

I have both .. a 2007 14.5  and a  2015 FX 15.  I much prefer the FX.  I use them for river camping ... like 7 days ... and you can pack more gear into the FX than you will ever use. 

One difference I have noted is that the tunnel section of the hull is  bit wider than on the FX15.  I don't know if this is true of the newer models of the 14.5.  I would think that the wider tunnel section of the 14.5 would make it more stable but I haven't really noticed any difference.  Both are the most stable YAKS I've ever been in.

While it is a lot simpler to convert the 14.5 to solo and back, the final result is that  the FX 15 is a lot more solid and firm that the 14.5 in both solo and tandem setup.

Just for the record I also have a 2009 16' Ultimate Multi Sport propel. I don't like the peddle drive personally so put in one of the new trolling motor adaptors and  a 55 lb thrust Minn Kota.  LUV IT.  Highly recommend the conversion.

#9 Pelican

Pelican

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 17 October 2016 - 09:14 PM

FX 15

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users