Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Blinds for Native Boats Waterfowl Hunting?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Scooter

Scooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:22 AM

Anybody seen/had experience with any SUCCESSFUL "do it yourself" blinds for Native Boats?  I personally am looking to outfit my Ultimate FX (tandem used in solo configuration).  Mainly need a blind to used it for "layout" style hunting in public impoundments here in NC.  More specifically, would be shallow water hunting in low/sparse/grassy cover.  Have seen many versions of kayak blinds on the internet, but none looked overly impressive, particularly with regard to function.  Most were PVC frames with netting, raffia, etc.  Figured there is bound to be somebody out there with a functional, ingenious set up!

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 05:02 PM

I really like keeping things simple. If I were hunting out of your rig, I would consider just using the bungee loops that slide in the Gear Tracks and add some all around the boat. Then zigzag some bungee between all of them. Park the boat in the grass, cut some and lay it over the bungees. I've used an older U14.5 that was olive and hunted and took tons of wildlife photos like that.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 jhbeard

jhbeard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:49 PM

I have tried various setups, and I think the ideal would be a combination of burlap cut roughly in the shape of the old skirts but running the length of the boat and the Native Adapt-A-Trak Lash Point to hold down the burlap and provide a place to hold down the cut vegetation.  I have used 

SGT KNOTS® Shock Cord 1/8" - Brown - 100 Feet for bungee and found it works well. You can spray paint the burlap to match native vegetation and it comes in camo as well. The burlap will get torn up and rot every year or so, but it is $10 a roll on Amazon so not a big deal to replace. You can roll the part of the burlap up over the cockpit like a sleeping bag and roll it over you to cover you.

My latest idea, which I haven't tried yet is to get ta series of two pad eyes and align them vertically along the inside of the hull to hold vertical vegetation branches. Zip tying to the pad eyes and using marine glue for the pad eyes attachment, as they don't need to be that strong.

Boykin Buddy, do you know what size J hooks will work on the adapt a track, so I could make a poor man's version of the lash point?

​I have had wood ducks almost take my head off with a pretty basic setup, so just get something together and adjust as needed.

#4 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,456 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 09:54 AM

Call the shop...I can't find it on their web site but I know they have them for rigging kayaks. tel:1-800-450-6819. Sounds like a good plan that should work well.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#5 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:44 PM

I have a blind I built for my ultimate 14 - works amazingly well and quick to remove.  It is three pieces of fabric and two small PVC frames.  I don't have any pictures on me at the moment, but next time im home during the daytime (aka Friday) ill take some pics.  Bascially there is a taller loop behind the seat with a bar heading to the back of the boat, and a lower loop infront of the seat (both are at the level of the cross braces) with a bar heading to the end.  there are then two camo fabric pieces covering those and extending down to waterline (or there abouts).  then a removable piece that attaches to that and covers me.  It has worked great for 3 years now (I think at one point I did post pics on here) with various fabric coverings.  Last year it got a nice cotton covering that I lined with fleece for those cold mornings!  It all sounds more complicated than it is, and folds flat for transport (takes about 5 minutes to setup)

so I forgot I had pics on photobucket.  the outdoor pics are of the same frames but with an older materiel (3d stuff that I hated) the garage and driveway pic are of the current fabric in various states of completion.  I did hit it with some pain to tone down the colors and I usually use some local reeds to help camo it.  but it works well in the water (usually at high tide) and up on land (low tide).  The middle section is laid over me and the front is lightly velcroed on so it acts as a bit of a laydown blind.  sorry for the OMG picture size!

29C2EBC5-903E-4173-9280-7E6DB15741D2_zpsF6457C2B-E8F0-4A4E-A145-9FFC41E1FCCE_zpsCBE44749-C4E7-4BDB-BB3C-90F03866D4C9_zps9498C500-1CC7-492B-8D04-55BBDFC61CF2_zpsBEA924A6-CB7A-4594-BC6F-1B03E19A0F95_zpsA1894DAC-9B8E-49A7-843D-646DD72CF99D_zps482F9535-6468-479D-BC47-F09DB4A65E69_zps

- Jeremy

Native watercraft prostaff

Olive U14.5 - dash, p-max 180, PVC seat riser, neoprene floor

Mango Versa Board angler - p-max 180, stick it anchor pin (8ft), custom rod rests

Ice Liquid logic Versa Board (wifes toy) - track mounted scotty mount

Lime Mariner 12.5 - the new battlewagon - now with slayer seat with custom mount.

Firebrick Mariner 12.5 - the battlewagons twin

Mango mariner 10 - the wife's battle wagon

Mango/yellow marble Liquid logic remix xp-10

#6 Scooter

Scooter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

nj05nismo,

That blind looks great...what fabric is that....I like the looks of it!

I have messed with the blind idea on mine for months, almost pulled the trigger to hire a local marine canvas guy to build me most similar to the low profile ones made for the Nucanoes.  I ended up going a different route and purchased an Aquapod...more of a specific tool that fits my needs better.  That said, I am making some blind doors for the Aquapod and will need to get some Cordura....like the looks of the fabric you used!

Still love and use the Ultimate!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users