Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
* * * * - 1 votes

6800-2RS & 6802-2RS Rubber Sealed Bearings

propel unit bearings grinding noise lower unit grinding propel unit grinding pedal drive

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:46 PM

Forum members

Did not see forum topic discussing  6800-2RS & 6802-2RS Rubber Sealed Bearing replacements on propel lower unit.

Symptom

Slight grinding feel to lower unit like propeller was entangled/binding

Inspection

Removed prop and lower unit cartridge that connect to drive system. Grease level appeared ok from last maintenance. Grease appearance was slightly "gritty" with rust color appearance.

Problem Identification

Disassembled all lower unit parts from propeller to inside gear and spindle (see diagram)

Discovered that (1) 6800-2RS bearing (behind cartridge seal) was completed missing with exception on inner bearing wall on cartridge shaft. Missing were outer bearing SS, rubber seals, and bearings.

Problem resolution

Ordered following parts - (Ebay)

6800-2RS 10x19x5 Rubber Sealed Bearings

6802-2RS 15x24x5 Rubber Sealed Bearings

Cleaned all parts, installed replacement bearings per diagram, reassembled .

Unit pedaling operation appears back to standard specifications with no noise/.sounds

Looking to see if this was a unique experience or something others have or will possibly see with heavy use of Slayer propel.

Best Regards

Attached Files

#2 manno

manno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:24 PM

Id just like to know what he's on about. A missing bearing? A rusted bearing?

#3 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

Id just like to know what he's on about. A missing bearing? A rusted bearing?

Manno....um.... I guess it wasn't as obvious as I thought....let me try again...

Upon inspection of a grinding noise in the lower gear unit of my Native Slayer Propel 13 that is slightly over 1 year old....and looking at the diagram for comparison of the parts - it appears that the cartridge seal, that sits just ahead of the spindle seat lock on the propeller side may have leaked water into the lower unit exposing the smaller/first bearing (6800-2RS) on the spindle to water,

This may have caused the failure of this smaller bearing as this bearing on my unit was completely disintegrated except for the inner ring of the bearing which was still attached to the spindle. Both larger bearings that attach to the prop gear appear to be unaffected.  At first it did appear as though my unit was not installed with this smaller bearing. But upon further diagnosis and evidence I came to the conclusion that water and rust had allowed for the disintegration of the bearing and although I had not noted until complete bearing failure any pedaling resistance change - once the bearing began to break apart - these parts created a "grinding" noise that has been attributed on this forum to a number of things - from lack of grease maintenance to gears striped.

In my case I have cleaned the entire unit, ordered and replaced all three bearings, re-installed the lower gear unit, and ensured all locks are tight. So that others may benefit I uploaded the diagram along with posting this information to help other forum users.

My reason for posting is  -

To understand if anyone incurred a similar issue on their propel units or am I the only Native owner that has incurred this issue?

If they have - Did they repair or replace the lower gear unit to resolve the problem?

Replacement cost can vary. The complete lower gear unit is $169 from Native. Bearing prices (which I provide the models needed) online varied from $1 to $16 each. This solution may help others to save money.

Based on what I am reporting - has anyone inspected their lower unit by disassembling the lower unit parts and comparing to diagram to determine if they have a unknown problem pending which can lead to a break down on the water or worse.

Does that help you understand the posting and purpose of the information?

• NOG Admin likes this

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:08 PM

Haven't seen a bearing disentegrate but appreciate you posting the topic and info.
  • l8r g8r likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#5 manno

manno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:36 PM

Yep. I thought that was it. Was just the wording of this that had me scratching my head -

"Discovered that (1) 6800-2RS bearing (behind cartridge seal) was completed missing with exception on inner bearing wall on cartridge shaft. Missing were outer bearing SS, rubber seals, and bearings."

:)

#6 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 162 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:05 AM

Yes, I have seen this before and have some pictures somewhere that I will post up when i find them.

A good friend and fellow member of this forum had a 2015 drive (401 series) that had been used about 6 times and we were out one day and he said his drive felt like it was binding up.

We went to my workshop after the yak trip and pulled the bottom cartridge out of the drive.

What we found was the lower drive had a 1/4 of a cup of rusty water in it and the bearing behind the seal had fallen to bits with all of the ball bearings falling out, they are a small bearing and the balls are tiny but we found them spread throughout the lower drive.

My thoughts on this failure are that the shaft seal had failed allowing sea water to enter the lower cassette.

If you aren't covered by warranty this type of failure is not the end of the world as the bearings and seal sizes are standard and it's a relatively cheap fix.

Luckily Natives warranty is good and his drive was replaced promptly.

• l8r g8r likes this

Slayer propel - Blue lagoon

Adelaide - South Australia

#7 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 07:22 AM

Yes, I have seen this before and have some pictures somewhere that I will post up when i find them.

A good friend and fellow member of this forum had a 2015 drive (401 series) that had been used about 6 times and we were out one day and he said his drive felt like it was binding up.

We went to my workshop after the yak trip and pulled the bottom cartridge out of the drive.

What we found was the lower drive had a 1/4 of a cup of rusty water in it and the bearing behind the seal had fallen to bits with all of the ball bearings falling out, they are a small bearing and the balls are tiny but we found them spread throughout the lower drive.

My thoughts on this failure are that the shaft seal had failed allowing sea water to enter the lower cassette.

If you aren't covered by warranty this type of failure is not the end of the world as the bearings and seal sizes are standard and it's a relatively cheap fix.

Luckily Natives warranty is good and his drive was replaced promptly.

Squidslayer or NOG Admin

Thanks for the confirmation.

Do you recall the seal info/specs for ordering a replacement seal?

I was able to locate the bearing info, but haven't been able to locate the seal info.

included a picture

Thanks

Attached Files

#8 Hannzo24

Hannzo24

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

Is there a video or instruction out there that show you how to disassemble that lower cartridge? I know mine needs some work, it is the cause of my noise and resistance.

#9 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:12 AM

Hannzo24

I didn't find a video but did locate this PDF file detailing the process.

My bearings were not stuck and did not need to use the pullers shown to remove.

The diagram posted above shows the order in which the parts are assembled.

Good luck.

Attached File  Replacing Bearings In Propel Lower Drive Assembly.pdf   486.28KB   30 downloads

#10 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 08:21 AM

All

This video shows the complete propel drive breakdown

The lower unit disassembly starts around 9 minute mark.

#11 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 12:15 PM

Based on my experience, I would advise checking your lower unit gear system (included both pdf and video link above) to ensure that you don't have ongoing seal and bearing issues prior to warranty expiration.

My understanding of the Propel warranty is that the Propel has a limited warranty period of two years from purchase, to the original owner.

#12 mike333h

mike333h

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationGoldsboro, NC

Posted 30 September 2016 - 01:32 PM

L8r,

Thanks for the post, and it will be something I keep an eye on.  Just a quick question, how were you able to get the info for the bearings?  Did the small prop bearing still have the part number on it and found it that way or did you have to contact someone?

Mike

#13 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:14 PM

Squidslayer or NOG Admin

Thanks for the confirmation.

Do you recall the seal info/specs for ordering a replacement seal?

I was able to locate the bearing info, but haven't been able to locate the seal info.

included a picture

Thanks

At the time of the failure I discussed, the propel was under warranty so it was a matter of a couple of pictures to the yak shop and pick up a brand new drive. We didn't have to rebuild the unit.

If you take the seal and bearings to a bricks and mortar bearing shop they should be able to supply replacements for both the seal and bearings.

Squid

#14 Squidslayer

Squidslayer

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:45 PM

I found the pics of the 401 drive that had a failed seal in the lower drive. 

A lot of Rusty water in the drive and the bearing disintegrated.

Attached File  rusted_parts.jpg   364.07KB   2 downloads

Attached File  water_in_housing.jpg   322.83KB   2 downloads

Attached File  broken_bearing.jpg   302.86KB   3 downloads

#15 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 02:15 AM

L8r,

Thanks for the post, and it will be something I keep an eye on.  Just a quick question, how were you able to get the info for the bearings?  Did the small prop bearing still have the part number on it and found it that way or did you have to contact someone?

Mike

Goldboro Mike.

The pdf attachments in this thread have the parts listed as well as photos showing the bearing part information.

Squid

G'day mate. Crikey that is a nasty looking lower unit. The spindle photo shows the inner portion of the single smaller bearing still on the spindle, but all other portions like bearings dispersed throughout the lower unit.

Cheers.

Again, all this information should convince Slayer Propel owners to open up the lower gear assembly and inspect all 3 bearings. Disassembly is easy. I was a little concerned when I first started, but with the diagrams/videos and tools shown within this posting, something you will be glad you did. Hopefully the warranty replacement units have improved seal design.

• Squidslayer likes this

#16 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 05 October 2016 - 01:25 PM

After faxing all required documents to Native through original dealer my propel unit is being returned for warranty repair/replacement through original dealer.

Process started yesterday (10/4) and will update on process length and results.

Customer must remove front thwart tube and both crank arms and pedals for return (A good bike shop can help with crank arm puller tool).

After packing unit in box by dealer, Native issues call tag to pickup box from original dealer at no charge to customer. .

I will post more information on support process when unit is repaired and returned.

#17 Bighitdhracer

Bighitdhracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

Sorry to bring this thread up from the dead but I too had a cartridge seal failure causing the 3 bearings to lock up. Has anyone yet sourced where to buy replacement cartridge seals? Based on my frequency (about 50-75 outings a year all freshwater) I am going to have to replace this seal every year. I am on my second cartridge and the seal on this one are starting to fail. Instead of replacing the cartridge every year at $80 a pop I would much rather just replace the seal. Also thinking about trying to upgrade to ss bearings. 

#18 Bighitdhracer

Bighitdhracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

If anyone needs those cartridge seals. I spoke to Chris at the kayak fishing store and he has them for sale on his website. Can't thank those guys enough. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: propel unit, bearings, grinding noise, lower unit, grinding propel unit, grinding, pedal drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users