Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo

Trolling Motor conversion?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 11 September 2016 - 08:54 PM

Has any ever converted a clamp on trolling motor for use in a propel.  Native is coming out with the trolling motor mount but I think a standard trolling motor would be too long.  Has anyone ever shortened the shaft so the motor unit sits just below the bottom of the Kayak and the control head not be three feet higher than the top  of the gunnels.  Say the same length as the volt would be. 

Second interest is to be able to turn the control head 180 so it will face the seat.

Any thoughts or experience?

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 10:50 AM

I can't recall offhand but it seems like the original Volt/motor guide was a 24" shaft? 

I've never shortened one but Motor Guide has a 30 lb thrust unit with a 30" shaft which should work pretty well. Most have a depth adjustment color which would allow you to rotate the head 360º.

• Jack Millet likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 12 September 2016 - 04:43 PM

My intention is to get the new Trolling motor mount that Native is comin out with for the propel, to use on my recently purchased 09 16' Ultimate Multi Spot propel.    I just don't want the control head sticking up 3 feet higher than the Kayak.

I saw a youtube video on how to s=change the shaft on a Minn Kota and it seemed pretty easy.  I was going to see if I could remove the shaft, cut it to length and reinstall it.

However ... Native customer service says the trolling motor mount is designed for  the new propels and will not fit my model. 

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

Yes, that's correct. The new Native trolling motor mount is designed for the current Propel models, Slayers 13, 10, FX Ultimates and soon to be Titan and Manta Ray Propels.

#5 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:16 PM

Is  it close enough that with some modification I could make it work?  Fully understanding that this would probably void the warranty.

#6 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 12 September 2016 - 07:46 PM

Good question. Not sure if they are the same spacing front to back but am sure the width of the cross bar is too short.

#7 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 06:44 AM

If it is just the width of the cross bar, can it be replaced with the one  proper length.  I replaced the center axel on my propel cart with one a tad longer to give me more wheel clearance and that worked fine.  Let me know please.

#8 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 07:31 AM

At this point I'm not entirely sure if it's width only. The TM bracket is fully welded so if it needed extended you could theoretically add either a smaller diameter tube into the TM bar or a larger tube to go over the TM bar. The drawback of going to a larger tube would be having to create a larger hole in the gunnel to hold the bar which could lead to the hole fracturing open if too much stress is applied.

#9 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 10:32 AM

I'd use a solid bar of the right diameter.  The issue would be the distance between the bar and the propel opening.  Please check it out for me.

#10 johnkook73

johnkook73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPrince George, Va

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:41 AM

Saturn makes short shaft trolling motors. Dont know much about them though. Wonder if that would work?

http://saturninflata...bs-30shaft.html

https://www.amazon.c...FAIIKYBQYAM73QH

#11 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:47 PM

Only problem with those is the tri bladed prop. To get it in and out of the "Propel Slot" it has to be double bladed. Other than that they look good.

#12 johnkook73

johnkook73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPrince George, Va

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:10 PM

Yea, I didn't even think about that. Wonder if they make a double blade.

#13 nj05nismo

nj05nismo

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 977 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:59 PM

shortening a trolling motor shaft is no big deal.  all you have to do is open the head and unplug the motor from the control box, then cut the tube to the right length with a hacksaw, shorten wires, crimp on new female spades and reassemble.  I did it when I made a remote trolling motor mount for my mariner (similar to bassyaks but non-steering)

• johnkook73 and Jack Millet like this
- Jeremy

Native watercraft prostaff

Olive U14.5 - dash, p-max 180, PVC seat riser, neoprene floor

Mango Versa Board angler - p-max 180, stick it anchor pin (8ft), custom rod rests

Ice Liquid logic Versa Board (wifes toy) - track mounted scotty mount

Lime Mariner 12.5 - the new battlewagon - now with slayer seat with custom mount.

Firebrick Mariner 12.5 - the battlewagons twin

Mango mariner 10 - the wife's battle wagon

Mango/yellow marble Liquid logic remix xp-10

#14 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

Got the Minn Kota C2 55# thrust with a 36" shaft. I also got the new Native Trolling motor mount for the propel series. Customer Service told me that it may not fit my 0916' Ultimate Multi Sport Propel YAK because they are made to fit the new model propels. I ordered it anyway to see if I could modify it for my 09. Perfect fit. No modification needed. It mounts to the three clips perfectly and the Minn Kota slid right in. I was wanting to get an 86# thrust but the motor housing is too wide for the Propel hatch.

I am very satisfied with the setup. I took it out on the lake with my 16' empty except for a 44# battery, a PFD, paddle, and seat. I am questimating that I was doing between 8 and 10 MPH.

One thing I was concerned about was if water would splash up through the propel hatch cover when I am doing top speed. Not an issue. I did not get one drop of water through the hatch cover.

So ... if any of you owners of older Native propel YAKS have been hesitating about trying the new trolling motor mount, it worked great in mine. Keep in mind that mine is a 09 16' Ultimate Tandem Multi Sport Propel model. It works great with mine but other Propel models may vary. Worse case scenario is that you may have to make some modifications, but I doubt that it will be drastic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users