Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo

Smart Cart Customization

SMART CART PROPEL

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:03 PM

I picked up a, 09 16' Ultimate Multi Sport Propel that came with a Smart Cart. 

I have several Kayaks and carts, and use my golf cart to pull them to the lake about 1 mile away.   I have to do this since a locked gate prevents me from just driving down to the lake.

I pulled my 16' on the Smart Cart very slowly.  about halfway there the center part of the axel snapped.  I had to leave the Kayak there and go get my truck to get it back home.  

So I started a search locally to see if I could find a piece of aluminum pipe with the right dimensions that I could use to make a replacement part.  I had no luck until I tried Home Depot and found a stainless steel closet hanging rod.  It comes in two parts with the smaller one being the perfect size for replacement.  It was over twice as long as the piece the broke.  I cut it exactly in half and ended up with two pieces about three inches longer that the original center axel.  Using a 7/32 bit I drilled a hole dead center through the new pipe.  This accepts the original clip perfectly.  Using the broken axel as a guide, I drilled two holes about 1 " from the end of each side. 

I reassembled the axed and it is better than the original. I give provides a 1-1/2" wider stance for the wheels on each side.  I had had trouble with the wheels rubbing the side of the Kayak when pulling it.  This 1-1/2 "extra gives plenty of clearance. 

In addition, the stainless steel rod is stronger than the aluminum that comes with the Smart Cart,  partially because Stainless Steel is stronger than Aluminum, and the walls of the new axel is actually a bit thicker than the original.

In addition, I removed the two straps that came with the cart and replaced them with ratchet straps.  This allows me to get the straps a lot tighter that the originals for a more secure.

Hope this idea may help anyone with a broken axel. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 07:26 PM

The original carts center axle were found to be not strong enough overtime and were replaced under warranty. Any new carts being sold should have the update stronger center section. So far we've not had any failures of the updated part.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 Jack Millet

Jack Millet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationWhite, Georgia

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:05 PM

Glad to see that Native makes these corrections when needed.  I got my cart along with a 09 16' Ultimate Multi Sport Propel.  I have ordered a new replacement axel but I like the wider stance of the one I made.  The original one j had the wheels so close to the hull that it shifted a bit and the wheel burnt a hole almost all the way through the hull.  I am having it repaired now.  This would not have happened just walking the kayak but I was pulling it behind my golf cart.  Although I was not going fast, it had time to rub the hull a lot before I could stop. 

Question: How long is the warranty replacement period.  Assuming the cart is an 09, and I am the third owner with no paperwork to prove date of purpose, would I be eligible for the up grade?  I understand if I don't.  That would be a stretch on warranty.

I assume Native changed the material on all three pieces.  Have ya'll ever considered widening the stance of the wheels, making it more stable and getting the rubber tire a bit further from the hull? I think this would benefit your customers.

All things considered, I am very pleased with my cart.  I just hope my homemade axel holds up.

#4 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,489 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

This forum is owned and operated by Get:Outdoors...a kayak retailer. Native only checks in every now and then, but they do take note when they do. We also pass on as many suggestions as possible. It is suggestions like yours and others that make this site so informative and appreciated by other users. So your helpful hints  definitely offer insight to all us other users.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,047 posts

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:40 AM

Jack, Natives' warranty has always been for the original owner however if you have a local dealer it may be worth checking just incase there may be an option.

Also, the cart was originally designed to be used with the Ultimate and Mariner Propels but it also does work with the Slayer Propels. It is recommended to strap the kayak down to keep the hull from rolling into a cart tire. 

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SMART CART, PROPEL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users