Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Best Dashboard for an Ultimate 12?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MattHarlow

MattHarlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationNiles, Michigan

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:24 AM

I got frustrated trying to fish in my Current Designs Kestrel (12 ft Rec Boat) and bought a 2012 Ulitmate 12 with a ton of accessories. I've had it out fishing once already and love having all that room to work with.

But I felt like my rod holders were in the way when I was seriously paddling or too far away when I stopped paddling and settled in to fish.

I'm thinking I'd like to add a dash, attach my rod holders and maybe some electronics and tools to it and then slide the entire dash forward to paddle and back to fish. The dash Native once made for the Ultimate seemed perfect but it looks like they don't make it any more.

Have any of you guys found a dashboard you like? I am absolutely not above DIY!

Thanks!

Matt

• ratherbefishin likes this

2012 Ultimate 12 for Fishing

2104 Current Design Kestrel 120XL for Paddling

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:45 AM

Does your Ultimate have accessory groove tracks on the forward gunnels? If so, you could just span the hull with wood or starboard for a mount. The Native console is discontinued but it only was designed the the 14.5 solo model. Native did have a dashboard for the Magic and Ultimate but that went away too. With a little trimming it would fit a 12'.
Attached File  image.jpeg   563.66KB   3 downloads

If you just have two rods in front of you I've always just layer the rod butt either onthe seat edge or floor and let the blank rest on the thwart. Makes it super easy to switch rods and they're out of the way during full motion paddling.

There's certainly other options as well. The search feature, in the upper right, usually finds relevant info. You can use it to search the entire forum by initiating the search from the homepage or go to a specific title, such as the one for Ultimate and restrict it to that one only.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 MattHarlow

MattHarlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 12:20 PM

Thanks! I have the gear tracks. I have been considering making something with starboard but I thought I would check with the experts!

#4 BabsterNJ

BabsterNJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 03 September 2016 - 11:34 AM

When I had my 2009 Ultimate, I made a real ghetto one with 1 x 4 preserved wood that fit into the gap above the footpad track in front of the foot pads (I'm 5' 4" with short legs!).  I cut it just a tad short, and stapled some foam (think pool noodle) over each end to wedge it in,  it got mounted by angling it into the gap  and straightening.  Then you can customize however you want (and if it get messed up or has too many holes you can just start over!).  You can mount a scotty base, and I screwed a cheap chinese food container on to act as a lure/plastics tray.  Your imagination is the only limit!   :)

#5 MattHarlow

MattHarlow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2016 - 04:41 PM

thanks. i think i am headed in a similar direction but with starboard.

#6 smithmal

smithmal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:29 AM

bump on old thread....

Anyone have any new diy dashboard ideas for the U12?

smithmal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users