Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Propel Drive locking down

Drive locking down

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rapidroy

Rapidroy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

My Mariner drive has been acting up lately , so I have been rotating it whenever I walk by to keep it loosened up . Well today it locked down and would not release, I tried forward and backwards with no luck.
So I decided to tear it down and See what was going on inside and maybe find a solution.
I had to use a puller for the peddels and once they were off I used a spanner to remove the covers. I found one of the cover bearings rusted and gritty ,not good .. So is tried to spin the inside shaft "nothing " both of the small bearings were bad . So dang I will have to order some bearings for the drive, I checked the lower bearings and they were fine , but I am going to change them too. So I need 4 each nbk 6902- 2rs bearings for the top and bottom center shaft and 2 each 6203-v bearings for the side plates.
The propeller pod was fine and smooth as silk so I'm not going to mess with it.
This is a simple unit to work on and I hope this helps those who are having problems .
I will let you know how it turns out but ,the bearings were locked down and I do this sort of work all the time .so I know it will fix the problem.
Roy Kasten

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 08:39 AM

http://nativewatercr...el-maintenance/

The Propel units are a lot like a bicycle in that they need to be maintained...especially since they are in the water when used. Proper maintenance goes a long way!

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 Rapidroy

Rapidroy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 01:59 PM

Yes , they need maintenance just like any machine and I did the recommended greasing on the gears . I bought this yak second handed this year and it had been sitting for awhile so I am sure the bearing were not checked. Also the bearings are the sealed type with Viton seals and should not need any maintenance. I pulled the seals and the bearings were rusted apart and the cages were rusted away , luckily my mill store in town had them.
So I put some new bearings into the unit cheeked the contact of the gears with plasta gauge and they looked good . I took the yak out this morning and it was so easy to pedal ,forward and reverse was smooth as silk. The fish were not doing well this morning ,I only caught 3 bass but the yak was much better.
I put a synthetic grease on the gears this time , what is recommended? I just thought if water got inside that the grease would not breakdown as bad.
I also worked on my ruder it was not turning well and was sticking . I found it was bent so I tried to straighten it and got it better but I am afraid it will break.
I ordered some spare bearings from eBay to save some money and to have extras on hand . I am happy with the fix now I'm ready for fall fishing ....
  • NOG Admin likes this

#4 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 10 August 2016 - 06:48 PM

Native recommends the use of finish line teflon grease.

-good fishng

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#5 Rapidroy

Rapidroy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 05:56 AM

Thanks for the links for the maintenance videos, I saw the reference to the finish line lube and will get some . I do Industrial maintenance and the lube I used is for 1time lubrication the finish line looks like lubri plate lube like we use on mechinacal seals. Thanks again for the info..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users