Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo

Broken Rudder Cable

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Redslayer99

Redslayer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:36 PM

Has anyone had experience with a broken rudder cable yet with their FX Propel.   Mine broke yesterday after a long paddle to my fishing destination.  It is broken right under the control knob.  I am going to start the investigation tonight but wanted to see if anyone has any suggestions or upgrade ideas.   I have only used the yak 6-7 times and have been very careful not to hit or drag the rudder itself.   Does anyone know if this is covered under any type of warranty since I have only had the kayak for 4 months?

The craziest part of the story though is there was another guy fishing a small mangrove island and I saw him peddling his kayak.   So I kindly got his attention and he came over.  He was in a slayer 13.   I asked him if he had any experience trying to fix this issue and he said not out in the water but he has fixed his cable a couple of times over the last few years.   Not more than a minute after this, his rudder cable broke.   He ended up placing a small rope on each side of the rudder so that he could hand steer by pulling each rope.  

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:10 PM

Haven't heard of any cable breaks on an FX. Definitely speak to your dealer. Though a rudder cable usually isn't covered under warranty, as it's a wearable part, your wore out/failed way, way too early.

Curious, how or where did the other guy attach a rope?

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 Redslayer99

Redslayer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 06:39 PM

I will reach out to the dealer to see what they say.   In the meantime,  I took the handle and the bracket off so I can see what I was dealing with.  It appears the cable came out of the screw.  There is a allen head set screw in the middle that I took out but I did not try to screw the gold looking screw yet.   With the end being frayed like it is, I need to check with them to see what my options are.   If I cut it to give it a clean edge, will the cable line be too short and tight.   Could I cut a section out and crimp a new piece on to get the length back.  

I am not 100% sure how the other guy attached the paracord to the rudder.   He had a rope in his hand that led back to the rudder that he pulled to turn one way and his rudder handle still worked in one direction like mine did. 

Attached Files

• NOG Admin likes this

#4 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:02 PM

I suggest taking it to the dealer and getting them to replace it for you...even if they want you to pay. Watch them do it so you will know how to make the repairs the next time they break. They are just like bike cables...they fray and break...so they have to be maintained every so often. Yours was a bit early however. Also buy some spares and an Allen wrench and keep them in the boat as a repair kit so you'll have the parts if it happens again on the water.

And looking at the photos...it looks like that cable fits into the hole in the brass piece and the Allen screw clamps down on the very end of the cable? Just that little bit of contact area for a tensioned cable?

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,021 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:11 PM

I've not tried to splice/batch or repair a cable at that location but my inclination is that it likely won't work at all or well enough to function properly or for long. You'd almost have to remove as much on the other side and crimp in a new section but then it probably won't have enough travel to operate thruster before hitting the cable sleeves on the bracket.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#6 Chris Blake

Chris Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationShreveport La

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:56 PM

Looks like you will have to replace it. That's a tough pill, please keep this thread going with what you find out.

#7 Redslayer99

Redslayer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 08:57 PM

Thanks for all the info.   I have sent an email with the pics to the dealer this evening.  Unfortunately I purchased it from a dealer out of state (my local dealer was a month behind in getting the kayak)   I will let everyone know what they end up recommending and how it gets fixed. 

#8 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 09:44 PM

​I believe it would be that L8rG8r may have a good fix for this issue.

Under 'Slayer Propel' forum a post by ryanbrooks dated 14 Sept 2015 'Rudder cable snapped' in the second page of responses L8rG8r wrapped the cable around the wheel and installed the wheel with the set screw mounted to the back side as opposed to the front facing position.

This will certainly allow turning the rudder port to starboard and the cable attachment point will not 'flex' at the set screw like it does when mounted to the front side of the wheel.

Seems like a good fix. I will be making this change to my handle this weekend.

#9 johnkook73

johnkook73

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationPrince George, Va

Posted 08 August 2016 - 06:31 PM

Mine broke the same way today. Going to call Appomattox River Company tomorrow and see what they say.

#10 Redslayer99

Redslayer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:42 PM

Wanted to give an update.   Native finally sent me a replacement cable and I received it on Friday.  I got it put back together.  Unfortunately I did not see the suggestion from MikeM until today.   That sounds like a really good idea.  Looks like I will buy another cable and try that setup.  Should remove some of the stress from the setscrew.   I am far from being a mechanical engineer but I really think the current setup was designed very poorly.  

#11 Chris Blake

Chris Blake

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationShreveport La

Posted 23 August 2016 - 07:07 PM

Thanks for the input, I need to check out the tread Mikem was talking about

#12 Redslayer99

Redslayer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 09:25 PM

I ended up getting another cable and wrapped it around the wheel and put the set screw towards the back like MikeM talked about.   I have not been out since the change.   But I can definately see how there is now less stress on it with the set screw at the bottom instead of the top.   Will keep all posted as I use it this way going forward. 

#13 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:35 PM

Glad to see the suggestion from a year ago is still helpful to other Native owners.

Update - Since replacing my rudder cables and mounting the pulley with the set screw facing the stern, I have not had a single issue and the cable connection to the rudder pulley looks the same as the day I replaced it.

slayer propel rudder cable.png

Best regards, Later Gator (L8R G8R)

#14 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 26 August 2016 - 01:32 PM

Glad to see the suggestion from a year ago is still helpful to other Native owners.

Update - Since replacing my rudder cables and mounting the pulley with the set screw facing the stern, I have not had a single issue and the cable connection to the rudder pulley looks the same as the day I replaced it.

Best regards, Later Gator (L8R G8R)

I sent this in to Native...we'll see if they make the simple change. TO me...and I'm not an engineer...but the set screw creates shearing force...not clamping force. Look at how bicycle cables are clamped down and they get far more strain and wear using spring loaded derailleurs...so simple push/pull cables should break like they do. I'm glad your fix seems to work l8r g8r. 

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#15 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:09 PM

Just wanted to up-date my results with wrapping the steering cable around the helm wheel and placing the screw at the rearside. I average at least 1 trip a week and the cable still shows no distress.

• Pelican likes this

#16 Redslayer99

Redslayer99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

I have been out 4 times since I made the change without issue.  Will be out alot more over the next month or so.  Will provide another update then. 

#17 webbhead

webbhead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:21 PM

Had the same problem today with my Ultimate FX label breaking does anyone know if U-tube video out there on how to fix.

#18 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 06:56 PM

Haven't found a video but it really is straight forward.

When you remove the 4 screws holding helm handle to yak you will see the wheel with hold down fitting and screw.(It is facing the front of the yak)

Removing the screw that holds the wheel to the handle allows you to remove the wheel, rotate it 180*s and reattach. (The hold down fitting is facing rear of yak)

You will need a longer cable (like 8 or 10 inchs) so you can wrap cable completely around the wheel. Tension on the cables is done on the wheel at the back of the yak above the rudder.

6months, lots of trips, and all is good.  :) 

#19 yoda1080

yoda1080

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationSouth Florida

Posted 07 June 2017 - 07:33 AM

https://youtu.be/R4AcGyIyquI

Check out that video. You can replace your cables with better ones that what Native gives. The cable are always going to come loose or you have issues with them breaking. This is nothing new on a Native Slayer. You will have to check on your cables every now and then anyway through use especially if you upgrade your rudder to a BooneDox rudder. Remember to keep a Philips head screwdriver and 2mm Allen wrench to check your cables if your fishing somewhere. The Allen wrench will tighten the cable from the back rudder plate. I've had to tighten my cable at least three times since I've gotten my new 2017 Native Slayer Propel. It's just wear and tear. Though, Take look at the DIY video on YouTube about replacing rudder cables on a Native Slayer.

Native makes a great product and their kayaks are awesome! I know from personal experience that their customer service is number one and all about the customer too.

Keep slaying the fish on your Native man!!!

#20 Rl1217

Rl1217

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationPhillipsburg New Jersey

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:16 PM

Video nicely done! What size is that cable and where did you get it?

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users