Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

First Trip Out on the Juniata River With my Ultimate 12

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 papanfisher

papanfisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 27 July 2016 - 03:03 PM

I wanted to start a post for my new Ultimate 12. I love this boat. I got it so that I could fish the Juniata River as I did as a kid. I could not get down to it with my two prosthetic legs. The only way that I could get down to the river was to go down to the Old Arch Bridge and put in Jacks creek then float down to the river. Then I could get to the Island where we had caught tons of small mouth and muskies. I will get down there and take lots of pictures. I will post them as I know that the Ultimate will do a great job. The boat is very stable. It has been 40 years since I have been there. I hope that it is as great as it used to be. I will have to float as much as 15 miles to the new Game & Fish launch in the Narrows. That is the only way that I will be able to do the trip as it will be the only way that I can get out of the river safely. This trip is only in my mind right now. I have the boat now. I only have to use it. I have been in the house to long. I am getting the skirts for the Ultimate. I have found them. I will have to find a way to attach them as the new Ultimate that I got not longer has the tracks on it, There is a couple sets of rapids that I will have to go down to get to the launch site to get out of the river. I envt the guys that can just throw thier boats on thier shoulders and go. I can not do that anymore, Stay tuned for the actual trip.

• NOG Admin, porcha and BabsterNJ like this

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,968 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

Glad to hear the excitement towards your adventure. Have a safe and heckuva good time.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 BabsterNJ

BabsterNJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationCentral NJ

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:28 AM

Hey, papanfisher.  I was going to do a Juniata float a couple of weeks ago with my sister from Lewistown victory Park at RM-46 to Muskrat Springs at Rm-26, but the water levels were just too low and the local guide fishing reports were talking about how they kept having problems with shallow water.  The water levels were way below the recommended 3.1 feet at Lewistown and 3.5 feet at Newport as a minimum level that are given in the Juniata River Water Trail Guide (Lower Section).

I started with an Ultimate 12, which I gave to my sister.  It's a great boat, and you should have no problems with the small rapids, even without the skirts. I never had water come in the boat when I used it on floats on the lower Youghiogheny.  Just make yourself a scoop bailer with an old antifreeze jug and have it handy.  Works a lot faster than any of those expensive kayak pumps!  Hope you have a great trip.
Bruce

#4 papanfisher

papanfisher

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 07 August 2016 - 06:53 PM

Yea the water levels are way to shallow right now. Just my luck. I finally get a way to get around and the water dries up lol. I will keep you all posted with pictures. I know the fish are waiting for me. BabsterNJ maybe we can hook up and do a float trip some day? You never know until you ask. See ya all soon.

#5 skeller001

skeller001

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

wow, pretty close to you near Reading PA and our water levels are a few feet high for the last few weeks on the Schuykill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users