Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Maintaining an aging Mariner (replacement parts, wear & tear, etc.)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Spider Crack

Spider Crack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hello all: Now that my Mariner is several years ago (4, I think), I've had to replace numerous "small" things (i.e., "small" if you fix them). Thought I'd list the parts I've used. If interested, also review 2nd half of post for replacement parts I'm searching for.

Replacement plastic buckles & grommets (when your straps break -- parts *might* be compatible with other Native models like the Slayer, but others will have to confirm)

ITW TSR 100 25MM (1") BLACK (found online)

1" ITW NEXUS Bottom Strap Grommet 619-1100 (found online)
One source: eBay

Also needed to purchase 1 Inch 2 Panel Black Lite Weight Nylon Webbing -- then had to learn how to sew well enough to attach the buckles & grommets!

Rudder cables: I've had to replace them twice. Purchased stainless steel 1/16" cable, used 1/16" crimps, and 1/16" thimbles (to attach to rudder bolts). Not as good as the original terminal eye -- but I never found a good source for them, and the ones I did find required a swaging tool to crimp. I've thought about replacing the rudder cables with heavy braid, but need to experiment with how best to connect the terminal ends -- has anyone done this? 

Some unresolved issues and concerns for the future:

Need to replace that rubber thingie that holds down the front hatch -- does anyone have a source (or a jury-rigged) fix for that? Not so urgent as my hatch fits so tightly.  Could prob rig a small bungie to replace it.

Will eventually need to replace that plastic cover for the rudder assembly. Is that available from Native? This is the cover attached with two screws under the handle beside the rudder adjustment lever.

What about those square plastic tabs that create the seat track -- has anyone had to replace those? Sooner or later I feel like they're gonna break off.
Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

// Joel

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:02 PM

Hello Spider Crack,

The current rudder cables from Native are supposed to be the same tensile strength but more flexible, ideally leading to longer life.

Get Outdoors should have some of the rubber hatch latches. They can also get a replacement top rudder disc from Native. Also, they should have some of the seat stay tabs, which were the same tabs used on the old Manta Ray bow hatches.

Wearing some of these parts out is a good sign you've been using it often.
  • Spider Crack likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 Spider Crack

Spider Crack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

very, very good to know!  will chk wtih GO about those items (hatch latch, seat stay tabs, etc.).  

the really good news is that the Propel drive itself is still in excellent condition.  it's one thing i'm a bit OCD about , i.e., keeping the prop shaft clean and gears well greased with that good Finish Line grease.  Finally upgraded to a real FL injection gun (was using a cheap marinade injector!), and it's been worth the extra bucks.  

I rigged a short 4" GearTrack channel on the left side of the seat to mount a YakAttack Zooka Tube.  Mounted my Lowrance sonar on the right side using a small RAM ball screwed into the existing 1/4" mounting screw in the hull.  

Love the Marine hull -- great stability.  Worry long-term about how well the seat will hold up, but having backup seat stay tabs should avoid seat problems for a long while.  

FYI -- joel 

• NOG Admin likes this

#4 Spider Crack

Spider Crack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

re: plastic cover for rudder assembly.  Here's the part I meant:

https://goo.gl/photo...otDv9a1pLk6RKD7

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:02 PM

Oh yes, Get Outdoors can get that part as well.
  • Spider Crack likes this

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#6 Spider Crack

Spider Crack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 01:55 PM

I turned out, unfortunately, to be more prescient that I care to be: the aluminum frame on my Mariner's seat broke this past weekend.  Was just fishing, when I heard a loud snap -- thought the seat frame had just popped out of position, but discovered later that the lower frame broke in two where the bolt runs through it (to which adjust straps are attached).  Good news is that, with the help of Get:Outdoors in Greensboro (where I bought the Mariner originally), Native will cover the broken seat under warranty -- so they're sending me a replacement.  Kudos to Native and GO for standing behind their products.  One way to protect ourselves against proprietary design in an aging product is to deal with good companies that stand behind its products like this.  Happy to know I can get these other products replaced as well.  The Mariner has been a great boat for me, and replacing these aging parts will ensure it'll serve me well for years to come!  

// joel 

• NOG Admin likes this

#7 Spider Crack

Spider Crack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

Just wanted to confirm that I've received and easily installed the replacement seat bracket, and GetOutdoors also sent me (nominal fee) replacements for the hatch latch and seat stay tabs.  So I'm in great shape for now thanks to Native and GO!  

Changed my rudder cables over to 300lb braid this past weekend -- still not sure what I think about that.  Silent and easy to adjust when pedaling, but not quite sure how best to secure the braid at the adjustment pulley (i rigged something, not confident it will last).  Right now it works, so gonna leave it alone for a while.  

FYI -- joel 

• NOG Admin likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users