Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo

rudder handle

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bender

Bender

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:06 PM

I have read some posts of various problems with rudder cable tension, problems which I share. Often the cable apparently is so loose I cannot turn to the right, handle moment doesn't produced rudder movement.  An additional problem is that I cannot turn rudder handle all the way to the right because it hits the frame supporting the seat. Any easy fixes?

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:27 AM

With regard to setting rudder cable tension. Certainly with a new kayak it should have been properly set at the factory and verified by the delaer at delivery, unless it was shipped directly from the dealer. In that instance, it wouldn't have been assembled in order to better protect the components.

If your dealer is close by you could have them do it or if you want to do it yourself heres how:

In your case, it sounds like you only need to adjust the cable for the right direction. If the rudder is attached, remove the center mount bolt first, then move the rudder handle left to right and then align the rudder handle straight ahead. Next, keeping the rudder disc centered carfeully lift up the rudder disc to access the silver spindle that the rudder cable passes thru. Loosen the allen screw on the spindle, feeding more of the cable thru. It may take a few attempts to get the proper tension.

As far as the handle clearance to the seat. Native is aware of this although there is not an immediate fix thought some are already shortening the handle themselves. Will update if status changes.

-hope this helps

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 kayakdude

kayakdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:39 AM

I had some similar issues and here is what I would suggest...

• tighten the cables enough to eliminate any slack as the handle....after a few trips you may wish to inspect and tighten again if they are loose
  • the handle is close and will rub the seat...its not as bad once you have the boat on the water and you are in the seat

#4 Guest_Guest_*

Guest_Guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

I had some similar issues and here is what I would suggest...

• tighten the cables enough to eliminate any slack as the handle....after a few trips you may wish to inspect and tighten again if they are loose
  • the handle is close and will rub the seat...its not as bad once you have the boat on the water and you are in the seat

Been on the water three times and there is no room to turn(it hits seat) I cut off 1/2 in. Now it fits. Still, there is a slip when I try to turn to the right and the handle goes slack. There are Allen screws? They looked like rivets holding the rear cables. Nearly 3k shipped and I have to deal with this crap!

#5 kayakdude

kayakdude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2016 - 09:12 AM

Been on the water three times and there is no room to turn(it hits seat) I cut off 1/2 in. Now it fits. Still, there is a slip when I try to turn to the right and the handle goes slack. There are Allen screws? They looked like rivets holding the rear cables. Nearly 3k shipped and I have to deal with this crap!

I agree that it should have been done correctly before shipping from the factory.  Understand that I am a customer just like you.

There are set screws in the top of the rotating disc....you can tighten each side making sure the disc is in the straight position removing all slack.  One or both of your cables is loose.

I am wondering if your handle was installed correctly...my rubs the seat but will pass it.... 

#6 Yakker74

Yakker74

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

Last weekend I completely re-installed a rudder assembly from handle to rudder for a customer at our shop. In the handle assembly, there is another set screw that tightens down on the cable. I found that it is possible for the rudder not to turn when you turn the handle if the handle assembly set screw is loose, or if you accidentally have any slack cable in the handle assembly housing for any reason.

#7 robert ruhl

robert ruhl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

Rudder handle hits seat frame and still no word from Native.  Purchased this kayak twelve months ago and reported problem then.  Need a handle riser or shorter handle.  It appears 1/2 inch shorter will do the job.  I don't want to modify existing handle, dealer said it would cause warranty invalidation.  I suggest a handle modification to solve two issues at the same time.  Firstly, shorten the handle so it always clears the seat in any seat position.  Secondly, mold the handle with a solid convex surface, giving full support to the palm of the hand when resting on it.  (See Hobie handle for example)

#8 robert ruhl

robert ruhl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

I have an easy solution to this problem.  Install a thwart between the rod holder and rudder control.  To test the idea I cut two 2"x3"x20" and forced them into the space near the top of the hull.  This served to open the hull to slightly beyond the original 32 1/2" beam width (now it is 32 3/4").  There is no apparent distortion and the rudder handle moves freely in full swing left or right.

One drawback is slightly limited seat adjustment to one inch less fore and 1 1/2 inch aft.  This is not a problem for me at 72" tall but may be for some.  Full seat adjustment could be obtained by lowering the thwart somewhat but that may create slight hull distortion on the interior 6"x5" inner hull area.

I plan to pretty this up by gluing up a 3/4x6" plywood thwart with 3/4x4x6" blocks under each end and coating it thoroughly with rubberized deck paint, then using 3/4 aluminum angle brackets on each end and well nuts or stainless sheet metal screws to secure it to the hull.  Since it won't be under any vertical or horizontal stress, I'm sure the sheet metal screws will suffice.

If anyone sees a problem with this or has any tips, please comment.  I would be very interested to hear any feedback from someone at Native.

bob

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users