Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
* * * - - 1 votes

Propel drive clamp crack

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 cvp71

cvp71

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 April 2017 - 03:10 PM

My drive is 2 months old and just noticed a crack in it today. Hopefully the replacement is the new design.

• manno likes this

#22 rolltide14

rolltide14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFort Lee VA

Posted 06 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

I just bought a 2017 slayer 13 yesterday. My propel drive doesn't have the four bolts it only had two. Did the dealer give my the wrong drive?

#23 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 03:39 PM

The change to a 4 bolt design was an inline change that took place earlier this year so some 2017's will still come with the two bolt design.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#24 rolltide14

rolltide14

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationFort Lee VA

Posted 06 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

Ok thanks. Mine was assembled in March. I'm going to take all precautions prevent any cracking on my drive.
  • NOG Admin likes this

#25 ttnguyen

ttnguyen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:46 AM

Just noticed my propel drive is cracked.  Will Native honor warranty for second owner?  How much is a replacement drive?

#26 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 07:25 PM

The warranty literature that comes with a new kayak states the warranty is for two years and is not transferable from the original owner, however there have been some instances where second owners have had some success with a resolve for a repair or exchange with a refurbished drive at a lower cost than new. This would be something you would need to bring in and discuss with a local native retailer. A brand new drive is about $925.

#27 Bighitdhracer

Bighitdhracer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:28 PM

Is there anyway that the people with a pre-2017's drive can order just the new updated top portion of the drive which contains the thwart tube, clamp and upper gear assembly. I didn't know that they were able to separate until watching the propel drive fully stripped found on https://www.youtube....8&v=nbjdhKkZeYY. Skip to 15:30 to see exactly what I am talking about. It would be nice to know that people that do have cracked clamps can just order a new upper unit instead of a buying a brand new drive or having someone weld the crack.

#28 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 27 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

Unfortunately the drive housing sections are not available as replacement parts. 

#29 TJ311

TJ311

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:27 PM

I'm the latest victim!! So bummed about my drive cracking.

#30 Mikem

Mikem

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 28 January 2018 - 06:52 PM

TJ311

Look in the "CLASSIFIEDS-SOLD" section for SHAFT COLLARS. John Vail has found a great fix. Have the crack welded and add 'shaft collars' and do not tighten original bolts in housing.

#31 packman33

packman33

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 January 2018 - 09:08 PM

I was planning to upgrade from slayer 145 to 13 propel this year.  Now I don't see how I can even consider another Native kayak after reading this design flaw and Native is not stepping up to take care of faithful owners.  I thought USA made products meant quality...Might as well by China made products.

#32 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,074 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 07:31 AM

packman,

Just incase your not aware of the evolution of the drive in construction design, mainly centered around the drive clamp, there have been 4 revisions. The first two, identified by numbers's 201 & 301 did see, for the lack of a better description, a higher than acceptable amount of clamp failures. That said, there are also a good number of the same units still in service. 

The drive has a non-transferable limited two-year warranty due to defects of materials or construction. This is the same or in some cases more of warranty than other manufacturers. I don't know of anyone using a geared drive that are not made over-seas. I know of a number of instances where Native has warrantied drives outside of the two-year span, where are likely handles on a case by case basis thru an authorized dealer.

It would certainly be nice to see the drives manufactured in the USA but that will likely take a universal industry change for it to be competitive across brands.

Anyway, I don't say all this in an attempt to sway you one way or another, just to offer info so you can make the right choice for you. 

• Mikem likes this

#33 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:05 AM

I was planning to upgrade from slayer 145 to 13 propel this year.  Now I don't see how I can even consider another Native kayak after reading this design flaw and Native is not stepping up to take care of faithful owners.  I thought USA made products meant quality...Might as well by China made products.

ALL of the current Propel drives being manufactured now have the new 4-bolt clamp design. Native has continuously worked toward improving the design of the Propel to improve performance, water-tightness, and structural integrity in the evolution of the Propel line.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#34 TJ311

TJ311

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 06:07 PM

TJ311

Look in the "CLASSIFIEDS-SOLD" section for SHAFT COLLARS. John Vail has found a great fix. Have the crack welded and add 'shaft collars' and do not tighten original bolts in housing.

Native sent me a new drive. It's the 501 model with 4 bolts. Mine was the 401 and it was still in warranty. Hopefully this one lasts longer.

#35 J.A. Veil

J.A. Veil

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:48 AM

While nobody wants to see a crack in the thwart tube clamping area, the Propel drive remains fully operational with a few precautions.  Keep in mind the function served by the clamp.  It does not matter if the tube is able to roll forward or backward in the clamp -- that does not affect operations at all.  What is important is to keep the clamp from moving side to side.  If the clamp moves off-center, there will be uneven forces on the drive.  There are at least two solutions that I have seen described here and on Facebook posts.  One is to find a welder who can weld the cast aluminum clamp together so it can be tightened down to prevent sidewards motion.  The second is to use shaft collars that can be locked in place to prevent sidewards motion.  Both of these have a cost far less than replacing a Propel drive.   

There is a great deal of creativity from the members of the kayak fishing community.  Undoubtedly, there are other low-cost solutions.  For those of you who do experience clamp cracks, if you are the original owner and the cracking occurs within two years of purchase, you should get some good support from your dealer.  If you are not the original owner or are beyond the two-year period, consider one of these lower-cost remedies.  

John Veil
Native Watercraft Pro Staff team
Slayer Propel 10 and Manta Ray 11

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users