Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2018 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Car topping a propel 10 and a regular kayak.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bubaa

Bubaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC.

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:30 AM

Well, I finally loaded 2 kayaks on my subie. Didn't realize it was somewhat difficult as I found out my straps (10') were not long enough for the slayer. The casting bar didn't help as I was trying to loop on the inside. It was a good learning experience. Here's what it looks like. The propel 10 is on the Malone Seawing which barely fits. The J cradle is the Malone Downloader for my Pelican 100. 

Attached Files

• NOG Admin likes this

Early to bed...early to rise....fish like hell and make up lies....

#2 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:36 AM

Looking good. It's good to see you using a front and rear tie down. I saw a recent incident where the entire rack pulled off of the roof of a vehicle that was hauling 2 kayaks on the highway. The vehicle owner wasn't using ropes on the ends...and assumed the rack was strong enough since the kayaks were very secure to the rack. Well they stayed on the rack OK but didn't fare too well when the whole mess pulled off and landed on the highway...not to mention getting hit by other vehicles. Luckily no one was injured.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#3 Bubaa

Bubaa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC.

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:14 AM

Thanks..yeah I always have the bow and stern tied down. I also take a step further by securing down the bow to the rack rail in case you have to stop suddenly you won't have the kayak "propelling" forward.

I too seen too many overconfident people not securing the bow and stern lines and just relying the two cross lines.

2 weeks ago I watch this kayak family secure the bow line to the front suspension coil spring in the wheel well on both sides. This was on a brand new Jeep patriot. I was so shocked...before I could tell the dad what a nut case he was letting his 10 year old secure the lines on the front coil spring, they drove off. .....I had a loss of words....

Early to bed...early to rise....fish like hell and make up lies....

#4 ColmerL

ColmerL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:37 AM

Sorry for posting on this old thread. I was helping a buddy installing the backrack headache racks on this truck for Native/kayak mount when his sister asked for any recommended rack for her Forrester to haul two kayaks. What brand you got and how's it so far?

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,032 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:14 AM

I personally like Thule's aeroblade crossbar system. Super strong, quiet and long lasting. Depending on what factory rack components, or plain roof, are installed would guide you on what else is needed to attach the load bars. It would depend on what size kayaks were being carried but she'll likely need at least one J-rack mount, possibly two to carry two on a narrower roof like the the forester.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#6 jestabrook19

jestabrook19

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

I've been happily using a THULE square-bar system (Hullavator plus Glide-n-Set) on a 2014 Forester with stock factory side-bars for 3 years, and this year its been carrying an SP10... :-D

The Hullavator does require a long cross-bar with THULE "feet" to attach to the side-bars, and does stick out from the vehicle a bit at about 6+ feet high, so tall folks would need some care to avoid it. Also, the SP10 is a tight fit in the Hullavator (it would not work well in the G-n-S, IMHO); I have an older model Hullavator and needed to adjust its width a bit beyond factory in order to handle the 34-inch SP10. I believe the newest model Hullavator does adjust wider than the old, if one has to accomodate a wide kayak like the SP10.

#7 ColmerL

ColmerL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:44 PM

Alright we'll take a look at Hullavator plus Glide-n-Set. She mentioned they will carry two kayaks most of the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users