Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. If you are an existing member and have not reset your password since November 2, 2014, please follow the instructions here.

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Mounting a DSLR

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kafn8td

Kafn8td

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:48 AM

Well, I tried to take my 10' Slayer propel and camera out this past weekend on the Minnesota river (first time I've taken the slayer on the river), and got my butt kicked.  The current was way to fast.  Although it moved decently upstream, I had to constantly be course correcting as the current would move the rudder if my hand wasn't on it.  Lesson learned.

I mainly wanted to go out and see if I could figure out a good spot for the camera that is easily accessible while in transit.  I had tried to figure out a tripod setup in the garage, but no luck.  The best I could come up with is to place a towel in front of the seat and set the camera on it while moving.

I've ordered a 1/4" female x 3/8" male 50mm bushing adapter that I can then mount my Manfrotto tripod head to on top of the propel drive where the 1/4" hole is located.  I've measured it out and my feet will clear it.  I mainly hand hold may camer setup and don;t really plan on using the mount to shoot from, but I suppose it is possible.

I do have a concern about the weight.  That would put about 6 lbs on top of the propel drive.  Does anyone see an issue with that much weight up there?  It seems to be well built and I would think that is a low stress area.  An other ideas for mounting a big camera and lens up off the bottom of the 10' Slayer Propel?

_S8A1657-L.jpg

#2 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:05 AM

Nice photograph.

Good question about weight on the drive mount thread. I don't know that anyone has performed a weight stress test on it but my inclination would be that 6 lbs sitting above the mount would be OK, vertically, but offset, either tilted down or if extended off forward or rearward would be a concern. The material is cast aluminum, similar to what is used in photo grip equipment, just not intended/tested for that kind of weight. I would feel a lot better about mounting a supported bar at the drive which extends back toward you that has a support leg underneath, contacting the hull to best distribute the weight as well as steadying of your rig.  With a ball mount on top equipped with a quick release you could remove the camera easily when you need to lift the drive.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#3 Kafn8td

Kafn8td

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:58 PM

Thanks for the input.  It would be simple enough to fab up a support bar out of aluminum flat stock.  Once I get the mounts (Thursday), I should have a better idea of how it sits on top and if I feel there is much stress.

#4 Kafn8td

Kafn8td

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:24 PM

My mount showed up.  It "seems" really secure and strong.  Getting it on the water is the test though...

20160519_192739-M.jpg

20160519_185919-M.jpg

20160519_185927-M.jpg

• NOG Admin likes this

#5 Kayakphotos

Kayakphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNaples, FL

Posted 27 May 2016 - 08:18 PM

That's an interesting idea. I hope that it works out as intended.
Just a thought from Daniel. '12 Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem- Camo

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/40driggs/

#6 Kafn8td

Kafn8td

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

We are up at Bear Head Lake, almost in the boundary waters, and it works awesome.  Here's a phone shot of me trying to stalk Loons and Mergansers my wife took from her Hobie. 

Photog-M.jpg

The Loons were really skiddish, not letting me get close to them.  The mergansers were a little better, but not much.  Here's a pretty heavy crop of one.

Merganser-M.jpg

• MarkBarstow likes this

#7 Kayakphotos

Kayakphotos

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNaples, FL

Posted 30 May 2016 - 05:34 AM

Nice shot
Just a thought from Daniel. '12 Native Ultimate 14.5 Tandem- Camo

https://www.flickr.c...hotos/40driggs/

#8 Kafn8td

Kafn8td

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 01:05 PM

Here's a couple of pictures my wife took that show the camera setup. It works great, out of the way and keeps it dry.
No big fish were caught but there were a lot of them.

edit - No great photo ops except, some kids fishing at the fishing pier had thrown some dead perch back in the water.  I was quite a ways out but saw something land in a tree over their head.  I started heading that way and an Osprey came out of the tree and started circling.  I started pedaling as hard as I could to get close, but I was too far away.  He crash landed on top of a dead perch in the water and flew off.  Fun to watch, but it's better when you can get it on film...err...media card?

Attached Files

• NOG Admin likes this

#9 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:46 PM

That looks like a pretty neat setup. Wonder how it would work with a Wimberly? I would think that some of the YakAttack DogBone mounts would be strong enough to mount on the Propel unit and hold a 100-400 pretty well where you could get it back to your face without having to bend forward too much. I know they are working on a new Command Stand leaning post that could be modified...it mounts at 4 points on the Groove Tracks and can be cut and shortened to the right height...and the angles and positions can be changed. They make a new mount called a Mighty Mount that will take the 1/4-20 T-bolt that could be secured to your base or any head. The mount could be secured to the top rail on the Command Stand to make a quad-pod of sorts. The new stand is very customizable using the mighty mounts.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#10 Kafn8td

Kafn8td

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 04:17 PM

I've been trying to figure out a way to slide it back so I could use it mounted.  A Wimberly or similar would be awesome, although limited by the amount you can move around in the seat. 

#11 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 08:05 AM

The thing I've noted most when taking photos in a kayak is that you really need the camera in front of your face to avoid the tipping feel when looking through the lens. A big tripod pretty much makes you have to shoot straight forward since body movement is very limited in a kayak. I got my best results shooting a 100-400 by just hand-holding and getting rid of any attempt at a tripod. That way I can spin myself sideways and shoot low if needed and not have the tripod get in the way. I have a waterproof bag I place between my legs and can pull the camera out quick enough or I can lay the camera on it if I feel the situation is safe enough for unprotected equipment.

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#12 Moxymo

Moxymo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationOzark , Missouri

Posted 14 September 2016 - 10:13 PM

I thought about using a homade pvc pipe with a swivel top mount inserted in the cup holder . I determined it was too confining for me , so have been using a bean bag resting on my leg when my foot is resting on the side of the kayak . This helps some as the propeller and rudder can position the kayak hands free . Another idea I was thinking about was getting one of those trigger ( height adjustable ) monopod shooting sticks with a swivel head and using that . John Shaw uses a monopod with a gimbal head when shooting fron an inflatable boat and has found that works best for him .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users