Toggle %s Hello Guest

Hello!

If this is your first visit, we invite you to register (click here) for full user access. Membership is free but is required in order to post to our forums. Membership entitles you to a discount on Native Watercraft Accessories purchased through the forum host, Get:Outdoors. Please read over guidelines and rules on the use of the forum here (Click Here)

Thank you.
Welcome Guest Messages 6.0.0 © 2017 VirteQ

Photo
- - - - -

Rudder Cables - Update 2016

rudder cable cable rudder

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

So that all are aware, if you haven't heard already, Native has made an inline change in their rudder cables. 

First, the original cables:

• The original cables were sourced and ones used by a number of manufactures and were a stiffer makeup than the newest ones.

• These cables usually failed over longer use, however some more prematurely. 

• Usually, failures occurred at the points in which the cables encounter an angle, such as the control handle, or the crimping of the cable, either the control handle or the rudder itself.

• Generally speaking, a rudder cable is a wearable item, typically not covered under warranty.

• Early failure can increase by a few factors, such as too tight of tension play on the rudder control handle or on some models the rear rudder control disc.

• No scientific tests (known) have been conducted on potential negative effects of some of the larger aftermarket rudders on the cables, however it stand to reason that there is at least the possibility that they can can additional stress to the cables.

2016 Cables 

• The newer ones have approximately the same diameter and same tensile strength but are more flexible.

• This should lessen crimp and flex kinks in the cable, extending their life.

Cable Recommendations

• Frequently inspect cable connections for wear.

• Inspect control points for proper tightness.

• Lubing the cable is not required however if you do a dry lube tends to attack less dust, grit etc. which would likely cause more wear.

• As with any mechanical device it’s advisable to carry repair tools as well as have a spare cable on-hand. Although on-water repair is unlikely, you should be able to steer with a paddle to shore for repair, lessening your downtime.

•Legal Notice• The comments and or statements above do not necessarily reflect the opinion, suggestions or requirements of Native Watercraft, Get:Outdoors or its lackeys (me).  However we hope you will find them helpful.

Get:Outdoors - Staff 

#2 l8r g8r

l8r g8r

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:51 AM

Or they could have ensured the pulley wheel was wrapped at least a half revolution of cable by mounting the pulley/cable attachment points towards the rear  so that the "non-warranty" stress was much less.

slayer propel rudder cable.png

• porcha likes this

#3 boykinsbuddy

boykinsbuddy

Super Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:45 PM

I would also wonder if rounding off the end of the set screw and using some Locktite on the threads to hold the screw in place would work...the round end would still compress the cable strands but not have the tendency to shear the strands off. 

Just a drop of water in an endless sea...

#4 Ccsully276

Ccsully276

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

Can anyone please tell me how to order replacement (original specs) cables. Part number -dealer what ever gets me back on the water faster thank you.. I read a bunch or posts related not that handy for DIY projects just want to replace.. thank you for any help

#5 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:26 PM

Please call the forum owner Get Outdoors Mon-Sat 10am-7pm. 800 450 6819 They should have this part in-stock.

#6 Ccsully276

Ccsully276

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 08:37 AM

thanks for reply I called and was told it needed to be special ordered. I was asked to provide the part number. I still have no idea of that part number

#7 NOG Admin

NOG Admin

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,016 posts

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:52 AM

You're welcome. Sorry, I think you spoke with a fairly new staff member who wasn't aware of mic. part availability. The store does have one Slayer Propel 10/13 cable with crimps in-stock. If you have a different model than this they can tell you how long it would be in receive one form the factory. Please call again and ask for Cory, who would be happy to help. -thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: rudder cable, cable, rudder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users